Admiral R Hari Kumar, PVSM, AVSM, VSM, ADC assumed command of the Indian Navy on 30 November 2021 as the 25th Chief of the Naval Staff. He succeeds Admiral Karambir Singh, PVSM, AVSM, ADC who retires upon superannuation, after an illustrious career, spanning over forty-one years, in the Indian Navy.
- Kumar was born on 12 April 1962 in Trivandrum, Kerala. He attended the Sacred Heart Convent School, Thanjavur, Carmel Convent School, Trivandrum and at Mannam Memorial Residential High School. He completed his pre-degree course at the Government Arts College, Thiruvananthapuram
- Admiral R Hari Kumar is an alumnus of the prestigious National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla. He joined the 61st course of the National Defence Academy (NDA) in January 1979 and was assigned to the Juliet squadron. He graduated from the NDA in December 1981.
- He was commissioned into the Indian Navy on 01 January 1983. In his career spanning over 38 years, he has commanded Coast Guard Ship C-01, IN Ships Nishank, Kora, Ranvir and the Aircraft Carrier INS Viraat.
- A Gunnery specialist, he has held several key appointments, including Fleet Operations Officer and Fleet Gunnery Officer of Western Fleet, Executive Officer (EXO) of INS Vipul, Gunnery Officer (GO) of INS Ranjit, commissioning GO of INS Kuthar and commissioning crew of INS Ranvir.
- His shore appointments include Command Gunnery Officer at HQWNC, Naval Advisor to Government of Seychelles, UN Mission in Somalia (UNOSOM II) at Mogadishu and Training Commander, INS Dronacharya.
- As a Flag Officer, he has served as Commandant of the Naval War College at Goa, Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST), Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet (FOCWF), Chief of Staff, Western Naval Command, Controller Personnel Services and Chief of Personnel (COP) at Naval Headquarters.
- He has also served as the Chief of Integrated Defence Staff to The Chairman Chiefs of Staff Committee (CISC) at the critical junction during the creation of the institution of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) and Department of Military Affairs (DMA).
- During his career, he has been awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) in 2010, the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) in 2016 and the Param Vishisht Seva Medal (PVSM) in 2021 for his service.
- He is married to Kala Nair, with whom he has a daughter. He enjoys swimming, playing badminton, and walking.
- He was the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Naval Command at Mumbai, prior taking over helm as Chief of the Naval Staff on 30 November 2021.
Here are some inspiring facts about Chief Of The Naval Staff Admiral R Hari Kumar that will motivate you to join the Indian Navy. JaiHind!
Admiral R Hari Kumar, PVSM, AVSM, VSM, ADC assumes charge as the 25th Chief of the Naval Staff CNS. pic.twitter.com/Ah55Gvp5Fs— SSBCrackExams (@SSBCrackExams) November 30, 2021