Daily Defence Current Affairs Monthly Compilation January 2022
CDS Bipin Rawat Conferred with Padma Vibhushan & Neeraj Chopra with PVSM, Padma Shree
- The list comprises four Padma Vibhushan, 17 Padma Bhushan & 107 Padma Shri awards.
Indian Army Celebrates 74th Army Day
- The Indian Army celebrated its 74th Army Day today. Every year, 15 January is commemorated as “Army Day” to remember the occasion when General (later Field Marshal) KM Cariappa took over the command of the Indian Army from General Sir FRR Bucher, the last British Commander-in-Chief in 1949 and became the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of Independent India.
- The Indian Army’s theme for the year 2022, “In Stride with the Future”, is an acknowledgment of the increasingly critical role played by niche and disruptive technologies in modern warfare.
DRDO Celebrates Its Foundation Day
- Defence Research and Development Organisation celebrated 64th DRDO Day on January 01, 2022.
- The DRDO was formed in 1958 from the amalgamation of the then already functioning Technical Development Establishment of the Indian Army and the Directorate of Technical Development & Production with the Defence Science Organisation.
Raising Day of Corps of Army Air Defence (AAD)
- 29th Army Air Defence Corps Day was held on 10 January 2022.
- “आकाशे शत्रुन् जहि” “Kill the Enemy in the Sky “is the motto of AAD.
- The President of India awarded the President’s Colours to the Corps of Army Air Defence.
Advanced Version of Brahmos Missile Test-fired
- India on 11 Jan successfully test-fired a naval variant of the advanced supersonic BrahMos cruise missile from a stealth guided-missile destroyer was tested from INS Visakhapatnam.
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said the missile hit the designated target “precisely”.
Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile, With Enhanced Capability, Successfully Test-fired
- BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, with increased indigenous content and improved performance, was successfully test-fired from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha on January 20, 2022. The launch was conducted by Brahmos Aerospace in close coordination with the teams of DRDO.
DRDO Flight Tests Final Deliverable Configuration of MPATGM
- DRDO successfully flight tested the final deliverable configuration of Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM) on January 11, 2022.
- The indigenously developed anti-tank missile is a low weight, fire & forget missile and is launched from a man-portable launcher, integrated with thermal sight.
Taiwan Passes Extra $8.6bn Defence Budget As China Threat Grows
- Taiwan’s parliament has passed an extra spending bill of $8.6bn, in the latest bid to boost defence capabilities against growing military threats from China.
IAC VIKRANT SETS SAIL FOR NEXT SET OF SEA TRIALS
- IAC Vikrant is heading out for the next set of sea trials while the maiden sea trials in August last year were to establish propulsion, navigational suite & basic operations, the second sea trial later in October-November witnessed the ship being put through its paces in terms of various machinery trials and flight trials.
- Be it the case of Atmanirbharta wherein 76% of the equipment is indigenously sourced or the close engagement between the Design teams of the Indian Navy and M/s Cochin Shipyard Limited.
About INS VIKRANT:
- The warship has been built at a cost of around ₹23,000 crores.
- The warship will operate MiG-29K fighter jets, Kamov-31 helicopters, MH-60R multi-role helicopters.
- It has over 2,300 compartments, designed for a crew of around 1,700 people, including specialised cabins to accommodate women officers.
- Vikrant has a top speed of around 28 knots and a cruising speed of 18 knots with an endurance of about 7,500 nautical miles.
- The IAC is 262 metres long, 62 metres wide and it has a height of 59 metres. Its construction began in 2009.
- The warship has been built by Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL).
- India currently has only one aircraft carrier — INS Vikramaditya.
Lt Gen Manoj Pande Appointed as Next Army Vice Chief
- The Government approved the proposal for appointment of Eastern Army Commander Lieutenant General Manoj Pande as the next Vice Chief of Army Staff.
- General Pande would be the successor to Lt Gen CP Mohanty who is scheduled to superannuate on January 31.
- General Pande was commissioned into the Corps of Engineers (The Bombay Sappers) in December 1982.
Lt Gen Anindya Sengupta Takes Over Strategic 14 Corps In Ladakh
- Lieutenant General Anindya Sengupta, AVSM, YSM, took over command of the ‘Fire and Fury Corps’, also called 14 Corps, from Lieutenant General PGK Menon, AVSM.
- XIV Corps or Fire and Fury Corps is a corps of the Indian Army. It is a part of the Army’s Udhampur-based Northern Command.
Maj Gen Vikas Lakhera Assumes Charge As IG Assam Rifles (North)
- Major General Vikas Lakhera has assumed charge as the 20th Inspector General of Assam Rifles (North).
- He has taken over charge from Maj Gen VPS Kaushik.
- The general officer was in 1990 commissioned into the Sikh Light Infantry regiment, which he later commanded in western Assam.
V.S. Pathania takes over as Coast Guard Director-General
- V.S. Pathania took over as the 24th Director General (DG) of the Indian Coast Guard on December 31 from Krishnaswamy Natarajan who retired from service.
- He is an alumnus of the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, and the National Defence College, New Delhi.
India’s former Envoy to China Appointed Deputy NSA
- Vikram Misri, a 1989 batch Indian Foreign Service officer, who served as envoy in China amid the border dispute, has been appointed as Deputy National Security Advisor in the National Security Council secretariat.
- The appointment of Rawat, who was serving as the Indian envoy to the Netherlands before being given this sensitive post, comes in the midst of the lingering eastern Ladakh border standoff.
Param Vir Chakra Subedar Major Yogendra Singh Yadav Retires
- Param Vir Chakra awardee, Subedar Major Yogender Singh Yadav, on his superannuation received a traditional send-off from the Army.
- On the 75th Independence Day of the country, President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the rank of Honorary Captain upon Yadav.
India to Chair Counter-Terrorism Committee of UNSC in Jan 2022 After 10 years
- India will chair the Counter-Terrorism Committee of UNSC in January 2022 after 10 years. The CTC was established by Security Council resolution 1373 adopted unanimously on 28 September 2001 in the wake of the 9/11 terror attacks in the US.
- Task of the Committee: Monitoring implementation of resolution 1373 which requested countries to adopt counter terrorist activities at home and around the world.
KALPANA CHAWLA CENTRE FOR RESEARCH IN SPACE SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated Kalpana Chawla Centre for Research in Space Science & Technology (KCCRSST) at Chandigarh University on January 03, 2022.
- Established with the objective of training students in space science, satellite development, and meeting future challenges in space research.
DRDO hands over Technology of Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System
- Dr. G Satheesh Reddy handed over technology for indigenous extreme cold weather clothing system (ECWS) to 05 Indian companies.
- The 3 layered ECWCS is designed to suitably provide thermal insulation over a temperature range of +15 to -50° Celsius.
Indian Navy Hands Over Interceptor Craft to Mozambique
- The Indian Navy has handed over two Solas Marine fast interceptor craft to Mozambique and provided military training during a port visit by the tank landing ship INS Kesari.
- Indian Naval Ship Kesari entered the Port of Maputo on 25 December under Mission Sagar, India’s initiative to deliver COVID-19 related assistance to countries in the Indian Ocean region.
Annual Firepower Exercise: Ahmednagar
- The exercise showcased effective man-machine integration as part of conventional assured response strategy in an integrated and networked battlefield. T-90 Bhishma, T-72 Ajeya, BMP-II, attack and utility helicopters, MBT Arjun took part in it.
Exercise TOPCHI- The Annual Firepower
- On 15 January 22, the Indian Army displayed of India’s impressive firepower ex. at the Indian school of artillery in Deolali, Maharashtra.
Maritime Partnership Exercise b/w Ships of Indian Navy and JMSDF
- Indian Naval Ships Shivalik and Kadmatt undertook Maritime Partnership Exercise with Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force (JMSDF) Ships Uraga and Hirado in the Bay of Bengal on 13 Jan 22.
Indian Navy Passex with Russian Navy
- INS Kochi, exercised with Russian Federation Navy’s RFS Admiral Tributes on 14 January 2022 in the Arabian Sea.
Russia, China and Iran Hold Joint Naval Drill
- China, Russia, and Iran will hold their joint naval drills on 20 Jan, a public relations official from Iran’s armed forces.
- The “2022 Marine Security Belt” joint drill took place in the north of the Indian Ocean and is the third joint naval drill between the three countries.
Biden signs $768.2 billion Defense spending Bill into Law
- President Joe Biden signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law, authorizing $768.2 billion in military spending. The NDAA authorizes a 5% increase in military spending.
- The bill includes $7.1 billion for the Pacific Deterrence Initiative and a statement of congressional support for the defense of Taiwan, measures intended to counteract China’s influence in the region. It also includes $300 million for the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative, as well as $4 billion for the European Defense Initiative.
Pakistan Buys 25 China-made J-10C Fighter Jets Form China
- Pakistan has acquired a full squadron of 25 multirole J-10C fighter jets from China.
- Pakistan had a fleet of US-made F-16s, which is considered a good match for Rafale, but it was looking for a new multirole all-weather jet to augment its defence after India purchased Rafale jets from France.
Indian Army Unveils Monumental National Flag at Jaisalmer
- On Army Day, the Indian Army unveiled a Monumental National Flag of size 225 feet by 150 feet at Jaisalmer Military Station. This flag is a befitting tribute to the Indian heritage, as it is made of 100% Khadi material.
The Indian Army’s New Combat Uniform
- Designed by a team of 12 people at the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), which included seven professors, three students, and two alumni, the uniform was created through a consultative process with the Army, keeping in mind the “4Cs” — comfort, climate, camouflage, and confidentiality.
Netaji’s Birth Anniversary To Now Be Part Of Republic Day Celebrations
- Republic Day celebrations from this year will start on January 23 instead of January 24 to include the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, in line with the Prime Minister Narendra Modi government’s “focus to commemorate important aspects of our history and culture”.
- Last year, the central government announced that January 23 will be celebrated as Parakram Diwas or day of valour.
India Gate to Have Netaji Statue Soon, Announces PM Modi
- A ‘grand statue’ of Subhas Chandra Bose will be installed at India Gate, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on Friday, two days before the freedom fighter’s 125th birth anniversary.
FLAME MERGING CEREMONY AT NATIONAL WAR MEMORIAL
- In a befitting solemn ceremony, the flame at Amar Jawan Jyoti was merged with the eternal flame at National War Memorial with full military honours. The ceremony was presided over by Air Marshal BR Krishna AVSM SC, Chief of Integrated Defence Staff to the Chairman Chiefs of Staff Committee (CISC).
‘Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon’ to be Part of Beating Retreat Ceremony
- The Defence Ministry has included the patriotic song ‘Ae Mere Watan Ke Logo’ in the Beating Retreat ceremony in an effort to make the event more Indian.
- The song had become famous after it was sung by noted playback singer Lata Mangeshkar and written by legendary lyricist Kavi Pradeep for the soldiers who laid down their lives in the 1962 war.
3 Navy Personnel Killed in Explosion Onboard INS Ranvir At Mumbai Dockyard
- Three Navy personnel were killed & 11 injured in an explosion onboard the Indian Naval Ship (INS) Ranvir at the Naval dockyard in Mumbai on Tuesday.
- A Board of inquiry has been ordered to investigate the cause of this incident, it noted.
- About INS Rajput: INS Ranvir is the fourth of the five Rajput-class destroyers built for the Indian Navy. Ranvir was commissioned on 28 October 1986.
SC Asks Centre to Explain Fixing Number of Women Candidates At 19 In NDA For 2022 Exam
- The Supreme Court Tuesday asked the Centre to explain why, despite its orders, the intake of women candidates in NDA for the year 2022 has been restricted to 19, the figure same as last year.
- 19 seats cannot be for all times to come. It was only an ad hoc measure,” the bench said.
- NDA examination 2021, for entrance tests for RIMC & for Rashtriya Military School question is asked by SC.
Indian Navy Has a New Plan to Buy 26 Carrier-borne Fighter Aircraft
- The navy is now looking for 26 carrier-borne fighters. This revised figure is for a reduced number of aircraft from that explored in a 2017 RFI for 57 aircraft.
- While the numbers are smaller, the acquisition needs to be addressed soon, given that India’s new Vikrant (IAC-1) aircraft carrier is expected to be commissioned this year. With the TEJAS (Navy) not considered fit for carrier operations.
BRO Breaks Record at Zoji La Battling Extreme Weather Conditions
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has raised its benchmark of excellence yet again by extending access to the formidable Zojila at an altitude of 11,649 ft, that links the Union Territory of Ladakh with the rest of the country. For the first time, Zoji mountain pass remained open beyond 31st December.
- The BRO achieved this feat through its frontline Projects – Vijayak and Beacon. They are collectively responsible for maintaining the axis that has strategic implications, in addition to the socio-economic well-being of Ladakh. Last year the same was extended till 31st December 2020
- One who gets both awards ‘PVSM’ as well as ‘Padma Shri’?
- Bipin Rawat
- Sonu Sood
- Neeraj Chopra
- M M Naravane
- There was an explosion aboard which Indian Naval Ship?
- INS Ranvir
- INS Vikrant
- INS Vishakhapatnam
- INS Vikramaditya
- Who has assumed charge as the 20th Inspector General of Assam Rifles (North)?
- Major General Narmdeshwar Tiwari
- Major General Sandeep Singh
- Major General Vikas Lakhera
- Major General Atul Kumar
- Which Award was awarded to Group Captain Abhinandan Varthaman?
- Veer Chakra
- Param Veer Chakra
- Kirti Chakra
- None of these
- India successfully test-fired a naval variant of the BrahMos cruise missile from__
- INS Vikrant
- INS Visakhapatnam
- INS Vikramaditya
- INS Kolkata
- __took over as commander of the ‘Fire and Fury Corps’.
- Lieutenant General PGK Menon
- Lieutenant General Rajiv Chaudhary
- Lieutenant General Amardeep Singh Bhinder
- Lieutenant General Anindya Sengupta
- 53rd Foundation Day of INA celebrated on__
- 05 Jan 2022
- 06 Jan 2022
- 07 Jan 2022
- 08 Jan 2022
- Armed Forces Veterans’ Day which is celebrated on
- 11 January
- 12 January
- 14 January
- 15 January
- The Indian Army’s theme for the year 2022 is __
- Courage and Power
- Strike on the enemy
- In Stride with the Future
- Indian Army Conducts Annual Firepower Demonstration “Exercise Topchi” at__
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) comes under__
- Ministry of External Affairs
- Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs
- Ministry of Textiles
- Ministry of Home Affairs
- Which organization introduced a light climate-friendly combat uniform for its personnel on Army Day?
- Indian Army
- IIT- Mumbai
- Indian Air Force
- Which country test-fired the hypersonic Tsirkon missile for the first time?
- Which of the following is a cruise missile of India?
- INS Vikrant is made by__
- Sea Blue Shipyard Ltd
- Cochin Shipyard Limited
- Mazagon Dock Limited
- Hindustan Shipyard Limited
- Which of the following is the nuclear missiles of India?
- Rudram – I
- What is the range of a new generation nuclear-capable ballistic missile Agni-P (Prime)?
- 100 and 200 km
- 10 and 20 km
- 1,0000 and 2,0000 km
- 1,000 and 2,000 km
- NASEEM-AL-BAHR Naval Ex conducted b/w
- India & UK
- India & Oman
- India & USA
- India & Russia
- __ is the Commandant of Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala
- Vice Admiral Y K Joshi
- Vice Admiral Amit Arora
- Vice Admiral Amit Tawdae
- Vice Admiral Puneet K Bahl
- __Indian ships participated in Maritime Partnership Exercise with Japan.
- Shivalik and Kadmatt
- Kolkata and Kadmatt
- Shakti and Hamla
- Vikrant and Talwar
- __took over charge as Admiral Superintendent of Naval Dockyard, Mumbai.
- Rear Admiral Vrindavan
- Rear Admiral KP Arvindan
- Rear Admiral Shankar
- Rear Admiral B Sivakumar
- Indian Navy Passex with Russian Navy held at__
- Arabian Sea
- South China Sea
- Andaman Sea
- Black Sea
- INS Sudarshini is an indigenously built Sail Training Ship built by__
- Naval Group India
- Goa Shipyard Limited
- None of the above
- Air commodore of IAF is equivalent to the which rank of Indian Army?
- Lt. Colonel
- DRDO successfully flight tested the Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM) from __
- Panaji, Goa
- Bhanoor, Telangana
- Hisar, Haryana
- Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Who will be the Indian Army’s new VCOAS?
- Manoj Pande
- Yogesh Kumar Joshi
- Chandi Prasad Mohanty
- Manoj Mukund Naravane
- Daulat Beg Oldie, a well-known airstrip for supply of provisions to the armed forces is in –
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Andaman Islands
- At which place, DefExpo-2022 is scheduled to be held?
- What is INS Khukri, which is in the news recently?
- Decommissioned naval ship
- Newly commissioned naval ship
- Strategic Indian Naval station at Sri Lanka
- Naval Satellite launched by ISRO
- The “2022 Marine Security Belt” joint drill took place in the ___
- Pacific Ocean
- South China Sea
- Arabian Sea
- Indian Ocean