President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the refurbished Sardar Patel Stadium in Motera, which has been renamed as the Narendra Modi Stadium, home minister Amit Shah on Tuesday said it was the Prime Minister’s vision to build the world’s largest cricket stadium in Ahmedabad.
The stadium, which President Kovind said is an example of eco-friendly development, can accommodate 132,000 spectators. “I am confident that this enclave will give a new global identity to Ahmedabad in terms of world-class sports infrastructure,” the President said as he performed the ground-breaking ceremony for the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel sports enclave, for disciplines like football, hockey, basketball, kabbadi, boxing, and lawn tennis among others.
Now no longer has Melbourne, is number one, Motera becomes the top and the largest cricket stadium in the world. Located in Sabarmati, Ahmedabad, the Motera Stadium is equipped with new decorations and the latest facilities for the 3rdTest match between India and England. Today 24 February 2021, The stadium has been inaugurated by President Shri Ram NathKovind in the special presence of Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah. There has been be a festive atmosphere in the entire country including Gujarat.
The Sardar Patel Motera Stadium in Ahmedabad is spread over 63 acres, with a seating capacity of 1.10 lakh people. Currently, Melbourne is the largest cricket stadium in the world. It can accommodate 90,000 people simultaneously. After “the Statue of Unity” i.e. the world’s largest statue of Sardar Patel built in Gujarat, now the state is going to set the new record of housing the world’s largest stadium in cricket. Built at an estimated cost of Rs 800 crore, the beauty of this stadium is incredible. The stadium is constructed by the Larsen & Turbo (L&T) company, which also built the Statue of Unity in a very short span of 5 years.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s Dream Project of the largest stadium in Motera has houses 76 corporate boxes, an Olympic level swimming pool, an indoor academy, four dressing rooms for athletes, food courts, and a GCA clubhouse, too.
- A total of 11 clay pitches of six red and five black soils have been prepared in the stadium.
- It is the first stadium to use both coloured clay for main and practice pitches. In the event of rain, the pitch can be dried in only 30 minutes.
- The state-of-the-art LED Floodlights will not uncomfortably warm up the atmosphere and will provide comfort to the spectators as well as the cricketers.
- An innovative feature of this stadium is that the 360-degree podium concourse at a height of 9 meters eases simplifies the movement of spectators, as well as provides a uniform view to the spectators from any stand. The corporate boxes that are designed have a seating capacity of 25 each.
- The 150-ton air-cooling tower will maintain the closed-air portion of the stadium fully air-conditioned. The huge dressing has been created for both teams.
- Separate state-of-the-art gyms have also been set up. A special lounge has been built near the players and VIP entrance.
- The autographed bat collection of players from the teams of IPL and World Cup matches played so far in the Autograph Gallery at the stadium is the center of attraction. The “Hall of Fame”, featuring photographs of world-renowned cricketers, catches the eyeballs of the spectators.
When the old stadium was demolished in 2016, the Motera Stadium had a capacity of 54,000 spectators. The foundation stone of the new cricket stadium was laid by the Gujarat Cricket Association in January 2018 for the construction of a new and state-of-the-art and fully equipped stadium. Completed in a short span of two years, this stadium is becoming another feather in the cap of Gujarat.