IAF set to raise second LCA squadron in Sulur
- The second squadron of the locally made light combat aircraft Tejas at Sulur in Tamil Nadu on May 27. The IAF’s first Tejas squadron was raised at the Sulur air base in 2016 with two aircraft and more planes joined the fleet progressively.
- IAF chief Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria is expected to travel to Sulur on Wednesday for the event. The second squadron is being raised with the first aircraft in the final operational clearance (FOC) configuration and more will be added later, officials said.
- The IAF has so far ordered 40 LCAs, split in the initial operational clearance (IOC) version and the more advanced and FOC configuration. The first squadron consists of IOC aircraft.
- In March, the defence ministry gave the green light to the purchase of 83 LCA Mk-1A advanced Tejas jets from HAL. The contract is expected to be inked in the coming months.
- The deal, expected to be worth Rs 38,000 crore, is critical for HAL to prevent a complete halt of production at its facilities. HT reported on January 11 that HAL’s order books are empty beyond 2021-22 and new orders from the armed forces, especially for the 83 jets, are critical for continuity in production.
- The LCA Mk-1A will come with additional improvements over the FOC aircraft, making it the most advanced Tejas variant so far.
- The Mk-1A variant is expected to come with digital radar warning receivers, external self-protection jammer pods, active electronically scanned array radar, advanced beyond-visual-range missiles, and significantly improved maintainability. HAL is expected to deliver the first Mk-1A jet to the IAF three years after the deal is signed.
- The IAF is struggling with a shortage of warplanes. Compared to an optimum strength of 42-plus units required to fight a two-front war, the count of the IAF’s fighter squadrons has shrunk to 31. The first four of the 36 Rafales ordered from France are expected to arrive in India by July-end.
Arunachal Pradesh CM inaugurates two bridges near India-China border
- The bridges, which were constructed by the 117 Road Construction Company under the 763 Border Road Task Force (BRTF) of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), are the 50-meter Tawang Chhu bridge in Tawang district and 45-meter Sukha bridge in West Kameng district of the state.
- The Tawang Chhu Bridge has been constructed over Tawang Chhu River while the Sukha Bridge over Sukha Nallah. “Both the bridges will allow faster movement of civilians and military towards the McMahon Line,” Khandu said.
- The chief minister lauded the BRO for securing the borders of the country and also providing employment and business opportunities for the locals through their investment in roads and bridges.
- On fears being expressed by the locals on possibility of Covid-19 virus entering Arunachal via central paramilitary forces, Army and BRO personnel, Khandu said that the forces have their own standard operating procedures which are being followed strictly.
- Later in the day, the chief minister also inaugurated a police station at Jang.
India helps Uganda to set up military war game centre
- President of the Republic of Uganda President Yoweri K Museveni on Saturday commissioned the ‘war-game center’ at the Uganda Senior Command and Staff College in Kimaka, Jinja District. The Commander-in-Chief revealed that the state-of-the-art facility will contribute to the quality of training for Ugandan forces.
- The State-of-the-art War-game centre is built in partnership with the Indian Army as Uganda continues to build solid relations with India.
- President Museveni praised the Indian Army and the Indian Association of Uganda for their commitment to development in Uganda.
Nepal army developing track route parallel to Indian border
- A track route is being developed parallel to the Indian border to reach their high-altitude villages of Tinkar and Changru to minimise their citizens’ dependence on an Indian track route.
- There is no tension in the border area over Nepal Cabinet’s approval of a new map, claiming Kalapani, Limpiadhura and Lipulekh within their territory.
Operation Samudra Setu: INS Kesari reaches Port Louis with medical aid
- Besides the medicines to fight the global pandemic, there was 10 tonnes of Ayurvedic medicines in the shipment which was offloaded on Saturday.
- India has also sent a Medical Assistance Team which is will help the Mauritius health authorities. The team which will help by sharing its expertise has among others Community Medicine Specialist, Pulmonologist and Anaesthesiologist.
U.S. Navy provides high-energy laser weapon system test details
- The U.S. Navy released a statement and detailed the ongoing test of the newest high-energy laser weapon system on board of Amphibious transport dock ship USS Portland (LPD 27).
- The details were given in a 22 May media release, to announce that USS Portland (LPD 27) successfully disabled an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with a Solid-State Laser – Technology Maturation Laser Weapon System Demonstrator (LWSD) MK 2 MOD 0.
- LWSD is a high-energy laser weapon system demonstrator developed by the Office of Naval Research and installed on Portland for an at-sea demonstration. LWSD’s operational employment on a Pacific Fleet ship is the first system-level implementation of a high-energy class solid-state laser. The laser system was developed by Northrup Grumman, with full System and Ship Integration and Testing led by NSWC Dahlgren and Port Hueneme.
NASA uses new Senator armoured vehicles to support historic mission to ISS
- On Wednesday (May 27), astronauts will take off from American soil for the first time since 2011, riding aboard a SpaceX capsule in a historic test flight to the International Space Station.
- NASA astronauts have not launched from U.S. soil since the end of the space shuttle program in 2011, relying instead on Russian rockets as commercial companies like SpaceX and Boeing developed their vehicles.
- NASA during SpaceX Crew Dragon Demo-2 mission will use recently ordered Senator light armoured vehicles to defend Astronauts Bob Behnken and Colonel Doug Hurley on a short ride from the Operations and Checkout Building at the Kennedy Space Center, where they will suit-up, and to the launchpad.
- The Senator is a unique vehicle in terms of technical characteristics, design and assembly. It is developed by the Roshel Defence Solutions that specializes in the design, developing and manufacturing of an extensive range of armoured personnel carriers.
- A Roshel Senator is its flagship model specifically designed for military, law enforcement, peacekeeping, and civilian applications.
- The company said the body of the vehicle has been specifically designed to incorporate advanced heat and noise insulation materials providing an uncompromised level of comfort to its occupants. The vehicle is fully air-conditioned for comfort use in harsh environments.
- The Senator’s perimeter armouring of the passenger compartment and engine bay is designed to provide protection up to CEN B7 ballistic protection level. The floor is fitted with blast protection to defend occupants in case of a simultaneous explosion of 2 DM-51 German ordnance hand grenades or equivalent light anti-personnel mines.
- In addition to standard security features such as perimeter gun ports, escape hatches, advanced locks, external view cameras, crowd-control systems, siren/PA system, emergency lighting, Rochel equips its vehicles with advanced defense solutions to enhance vehicle’s ability to accomplish its mission in a secure and efficient way. Among available security solutions are remote weapon systems, turrets, escape hatches, video surveillance equipment, night vision systems, fire source detection systems, chemical protection units and other.
J-K: Top LeT terror associate, 3 over ground workers held
- Budgam Police and Indian Army’s 53RR has arrested a top LeT terror associate Wasim Ganie of Beerwah along with three over ground workers.
- This group was involved in providing shelter and logistic support to terrorists in the area
- LWSD full form
- Laser Weapon System Demonstrator
- Laser Warfare System Demonstrator
- Laser Weapon System Detonator
- Laser Warfare System Detonator
- When will the US astronauts take off from American soil for the first time since 2011?
- July 27, 2020
- May 27, 2020
- June 27, 2020
- August 27, 2020
- India helps which country to set up military war game centre?
- Port Louis is the capital city of
- Indian Army’s which battalion, along with Budgam Police, has arrested a top LeT terror associate Wasim Ganie?
- 51 Rashtriya Rifles
- 53 Rashtriya Rifles
- Arunachal Scouts
- Ladakh Scouts