DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 19 – 20 September 2021
SPIN (Strengthening the Potential of India) scheme
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) launched the SPIN (Strengthening the Potential of India) scheme to make potters self-sustainable.
- Under SPIN, KVIC will facilitate potters to get easy loans from banks that will help the potters to diversify their activities and enhance their income.
- It is aimed at sustainable development by creating local self-employment which is aligned with the Prime Minister’s commitment of “Job to Every Hand” (Har Hath Me Kaam).
- It is a no-subsidy program. KVIC facilitates potters to get bank loans under Pradhan Mantri Shishu Mudra Yojana. No financial burden on the exchequer. Beneficiaries can repay the loans in easy installments.
Global Methane Pledge
- US President has announced the Global Methane Pledge, which is an US-EU led effort to cut methane emissions by a third by the end of this decade.
- The announcement has come ahead of 26th Conference of the Parties (COP26) of United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in Glasgow, UK.
- The pact between the US and the EU sets a target of cutting at least 30% from global methane emissions, based on 2020 levels, by 2030.
No More ‘Ease of Doing Business’ Report
- The World Bank would discontinue the practice of issuing ‘Doing Business report’ following an investigation reported “data irregularities” in its 2018 and 2020 editions (released in 2017 and 2019, respectively) and possible “ethical matters” involving bank staff.
- It will be working on a new approach to assessing the business and investment climate.
- The report was introduced in 2003 to provide an assessment of objective measures of business regulations and their enforcement across 190 economies on ten parameters affecting a business through its life cycle.
G-20 Agriculture Ministerial Meeting
- Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar participated in the G-20 Agriculture Ministerial meeting organized by Italy, which holds the Presidency of G20.
- With an annual production of 308 million tons of food grains, India is not only in the realm of food security but is also catering to needs of other countries.
- By the year 2030-31, India’s population is likely to exceed 150 crores, for which the demand for food grains is then estimated to be around 350 million tones.
World’s Longest Expressway
- Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari announced that the Government is constructing the world’s longest highway, the Delhi-Mumbai Express highway.
- The work on the eight-lane Delhi-Mumbai Expressway, a 1,380 km road will be completed by March 2023.
- The expressway is 1,380 km long and is being constructed for Rs 98,000 crores. The expressway passes through the six states of Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, and Maharashtra.
India’s First E-Highway
- Increasing the resilience in gearing towards Sustainable Development, India’s proposed electric highway project is expected to be a substantial step.
- Recently, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari, has said that India will get its first electric highway which is likely to come up between Delhi and Jaipur soon.
- E-highways not only help to reduce fuel consumption and pollution, but they will also greatly assist in increasing the number of people turning to e-vehicles and purchasing them since the lack of charging stations and ports is one of the primary barriers to people acquiring them.
- The minister has also urged foreign investment in the highways sector and had earlier invited the EU to build an electric highway in the country. He further said that 22 green expressways were on the anvil and work has already been started on many of them.
- The batteries of vehicles travelling on an electric highway or roads are recharged which is regarded as an energy-efficient solution that aids in the reduction of carbon emissions.
- The world’s first electrified road, which recharges the batteries of vehicles and trucks travelling on it was opened in Sweden in 2018. Later in the year 2019, Germany introduced the first electric highway on its motorway system to recharge hybrid trucks.
100% First Dose Coverage for the Adult Population in Goa
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today lauded the efforts of Goa Government in 100 per cent COVID vaccination of eligible population with the first dose.
- He was interacting with health care workers and beneficiaries of COVID vaccination programme, on completion of 100 per cent first dose coverage for the adult population in Goa.
- The state has attained in 100 per cent in electrification. Jal Jeevan Mission too is successful.
Petrol and Diesel Not to Come Under GST regime
- 45th GST Council meets in Lucknow ended, where in Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has said that the GST Council has turned down a proposal to bring petrol and diesel under the ambit of GST.
- Finance Minister said that reduced GST rates on COVID medicines have been extended till 31st December from 30th September. Ms Sitharaman said, Zolgensma and Viltepso are two very expensive Lifesaving drugs which cost around 16 crore rupees. She said the council has decided to grant exemption from GST for these two drugs. Some drugs suggested by Ministry of Health have also been exempted.
- The Council also reduced GST from 12 to 5 percent on cancer related drugs and seven other medicines. GST was also reduced on bio diesel from 12 to 5 percent.
- GST on retro-fitment kits for vehicles used by Divyangs has been reduced to 5 percent. GST rate on fortified rice kernels which can be used in schemes like Integrated Child Development Services Scheme has been reduced from 18 percent to 5 percent.
- Green Box, Amber Box, Blue Box sometimes seen in news are associated with
- World Bank
- World Trade Organization
- World Economic Forum
- It is the simplest hydrocarbon, consisting of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms (CH4).
- Hydrogen chloride
- Hydrochloric acid
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) has developed an anti-methanogenic feed supplement
- Pashu Dhara
- Khadya Dhara
- Harit Dhara
- Gau Chara
- India was placed _____ in Ease of Doing Business report 2020.
- Human Capital Index is released by
- World Bank
- World Trade Organization
- International Labour Organization
- World Economic Forum
- In 2016 World’s First E-Highway was inaugurated in
- Current Chairmen of G20 Summit
- Vladimir Putin
- Boris Johnson
- Narendra Modi
- Mario Draghi
- Edible oil, sugar, spices, tea, and coffee (except instant) are included in ______ slab of GST
- Computers and processed food are included in ______ slab of GST
- Petroleum products, diesel, natural gas, aviation fuel are included in ______ slab of GST
- Not Applicable