What is the Shangri-La Dialogue?
- It is a Track One inter-governmental security forum.
- It is held annually by an independent think tank, the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS).
- Attended by defense ministers, permanent heads of ministries and military chiefs of 28 Asia-Pacific states.
- Summit was initiated in 2002
- Originally known as the Asia Security Summit
- Aimed at building confidence and fostering practical cooperation between Asia-Pacific.
- The forum gets its name from the Shangri-La Hotel in Singapore where it has been held
Climate Smart Cities Assessment Framework 2.0
- Shri Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State for Housing and Urban Affairs has launched the Climate Smart Cities Assessment Framework (CSCAF) 2.0, along with the ‘Streets for People Challenge’
- Virtual event organized by the Smart Cities Mission, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- Objective: To provide a clear roadmap for cities towards combating Climate Change while planning and implementing their actions, including investments.
- Initiative intends to inculcate a climate-sensitive approach to urban planning and development in India.
- Implementation: The Climate Centre for Cities under National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) is supporting MoHUA in implementation.
- The framework has 28 indicators across five categories namely;
- Energy and Green Buildings
- Urban Planning, Green Cover & Biodiversity
- Mobility and Air Quality
- Water Management
- Waste Management.
- Streets for People Challenge
- It is the response to the need for making our cities more walkable and pedestrian friendly.
- The Challenge will support cities across the country to develop a unified vision of streets for people in consultation with stakeholders and citizens.
- Cities will also be guided to launch their own designs to gather innovative ideas from professionals for quick, innovative, and low-cost tactical solutions.
Ranking of States 2019 on support to Startup Ecosystems
- Recently, Minister of Commerce & Industry and Railways Shri Piyush Goyal released the Results of the second edition of Ranking of States on Support to Startup Ecosystems.
- Conducted by: Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- Objective: To foster competitiveness and propel States and Union Territories to work proactively towards uplifting the startup ecosystem.
- Ranking has 7 broad reform area, ranging from Institutional Support, Easing Compliances, Relaxation in Public Procurement norms, Incubation support, Seed Funding Support, Venture Funding Support, and Awareness & Outreach.
- States are classified into 5 Categories: Best Performers, Top Performers, Leaders, Aspiring Leaders and Emerging Startup Ecosystems.
- Best Performer: Gujarat
- Top Performers: Karnataka and Kerala
- Leaders: Bihar, Maharashtra, Odisha and Rajasthan.
- Aspiring Leaders: Haryana, Jharkhand, Punjab, Telangana and Uttarakhand.
- Emerging Startup Ecosystems: Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Tamil Nadu, Assam, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Sikkim and Uttar Pradesh.
Global Economic Freedom Index, 2020
- Recently, an annual report on The Economic Freedom of the World, 2020 has been released which was prepared by Fraser Institute in Canada.
- In India, the report was co-published by Delhi-based Centre for Civil Society.
- The report measures the ‘economic freedom’, or the ability of individuals to make their own economic decisions in a country, by analyzing policies and institutions of these countries.
- The report is based on the 2018 data.
- Topped by Hongkong and Singapore.
- India slipped 26 places to 105 among 162 countries and territories on the index of global economic freedom.
- India was at 79th position in the 2019 edition of the report.
- 10 lowest ranked countries are African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Zimbabwe, Republic of Congo, Algeria, Iran, Angola, Libya, Sudan and Venezuela.
- India has reported reduction in size of,
- Government from 8.22 to 7.16.
- legal system and property rights from 5.17 to 5.06.
- Freedom to trade internationally from 6.08 to 5.71 and
- Regulation of credit, labour and business from 6.63 to 6.53.
- Society for Affordable Redressal of Disputes – Ports launched by the Union Shipping Ministry.
- It is established under Societies Registration Act, 1860.
- ‘SAROD-Ports’ is similar to provision available in Highway Sector in the form of SAROD-Roads constituted by National Highways Authority of India (NHAI).
- It is Affordable Dispute Redressal Mechanism for all kind of disputes of maritime sector.
- Affordable and timely resolution of disputes in fair manner.
- Enrichment of Dispute Resolution Mechanism with the panel of technical experts as arbitrators.
Current COVID19 Situation in India
Ranking of States 2019 on support to Startup Ecosystems conducted By:
- NITI Ayog
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade
- Both A and B
Answer – B
Which state ranked as Best Performer in Ranking of States 2019 on support to Startup Ecosystems?
- Uttar Pradesh
Answer – A
What is India’s rank in Global Economic Freedom Index, 2020?
Answer – C
Which country secured top position in Global Economic Freedom Index, 2020?
Answer – A
Question of the Day
What is Start-Up Village Entrepreneurship Programme?
Answer in next session…