If you are new to AFCAT or applying for AFCAT 2 2014 then you must have come across the term EKT. EKT stands for Engineering Knowledge Test. Now in this article we will guide you about EKT exam, what kind of question you might face in EKT exam, EKT exam syllabus and pattern and few more details about new EKT exam 2014 which is getting conducted along AFCAT 2014.
EKT Exam 2014
Engineering Knowledge Test EKT is a common test aimed at testing the Basic Engineering knowledge of the candidates applied for Aeronautical Engineering Courses. Candidates who are applying for AFCAT 2 2014 and opting for technical branch have to write 30 mins EKT exam right after 2 hours AFCAT exam. One has to select between computer or electrical & electronics and based on your selection of EKT subject you will get the EKT questions.
EKT Exam Syllabus 2014
COMPUTER AND ELECTRONICS
- Digital Electronic Circuits:- Number representation and computer arithmetic (fixed and floating point),Boolean algebra and minimization of Boolean functions, Logic functions and logic gates, Minimization, Digital IC families (DTL, TTL, ECL, MOS, CMOS),Design and synthesis of combinational and sequential circuits, Combinational Circuits: arithmetic circuits, code converters, multiplexers, Decoders. Sequential circuits: latches and flip-flops, counters, shift-registers.
- Analog Electronic Circuits: – Small Signal Equivalent circuits of diodes ,Simple diode circuits, clipping, clamping, rectifiers, Biasing and bias stability of transistor and FET amplifiers, Amplifiers, single-and multi-stage amplifiers, frequency response of amplifiers, Simple op-amp circuits, Sinusoidal oscillators and criterion for oscillation
- Computer Organization and Architecture:- Machine instructions and addressing modes, Memory interface, Cache and main memory and Secondary storage. Microprocessor (8085): architecture and memory organisation.
- Operating System:- Processes, Threads and Inter-process communication, Concurrency, Synchronization and Deadlock, CPU scheduling, Memory management and virtual memory, File systems and I/O systems, Protection and security.
- Programming and Data Structures:- Programming in C and similar Structured programming languages. Functions, Recursion, Parameter passing, Scope, Binding; Abstract data types, Arrays, Stacks, Queues, Linked Lists, Trees, Binary search trees, Binary heaps.
- Databases:- ER-model, Relational model (relational algebra, tuple calculus), Database design (integrity constraints, normal forms), Query languages (SQL), File structures (sequential files, indexing, B and B+ trees), Transactions and concurrency control.
- Computer Networks:- ISO/OSI stack, LAN technologies (Ethernet, Token ring), Flow and error control techniques, Routing algorithms, Congestion control, TCP/UDP and sockets, IP(v4), Application layer protocols (icmp, dns, smtp, pop, ftp, http); Basic concepts of hubs, switches, gateways, and routers. Network security: basic concepts of public key and private key cryptography, digital signature, firewalls.
- Information Systems and Software Engineering:- information gathering, requirement and feasibility analysis, data flow diagrams, process specifications, input/output design, process life cycle, planning and managing the project, design, coding, testing, implementation, maintenance.
ELECTRICAL & INSTRUMENTATION ENGINEERING
- Electrical Circuits and Fields:- Network graph, KCL, KVL, node/ cut set, mesh/ tie set analysis, transient response of d.c. and a.c. networks — sinusoidal steady-state analysis — resonance in electrical circuits — concepts of ideal voltage and current sources, network theorems, driving point, immittance and transfer functions of two port networks, elementary concepts of filters –three phase circuits — Fourier series and its application — Gauss theorem, electric field intensity and potential due to point, line, plane and spherical charge distribution, dielectrics, capacitance calculations for simple configurations — Ampere’s and Biot-Savart’s law, inductance calculations for simple configurations.
- Electrical Machines :- Single phase transformer – equivalent circuit, phasor diagram, tests, regulation and efficiency — three phase transformers – connections, parallel operation — auto transformer and three-winding transformer — principles of energy conversion, windings of rotating machines: D. C. generators and motors – characteristics, staring and speed control, armature reaction and commutation — three phase induction motors — performance characteristics, starting and speed control — single-phase induction motors — synchronous generators performance, regulation, parallel operation — synchronous motors – starting, characteristics, applications, synchronous condensers — fractional horse power motors, permanent magnet and stepper motors.
- Control Systems :- Principles of feedback — transfer function — block diagrams: Signal flow graphs. Transient Response –steady-state errors — stability-Routh and Nyquist criteria — Bode plots — compensation — root loci — time delay systems– phase and gain margin elementary state variable formulation — state transition matrix and response for LTI systems. Mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic system components. Synchro pair, servo and step motors. On off, cascade, P, PI, P-I-D, feed forward and derivative controller, Fuzzy controllers.
- Electrical and Electronic Measurements :- Transducers, Mechanical Measurement and Industrial Instrumentation: Resistive, Capacitive, Inductive and piezoelectric transducers and their signal conditioning. Measurement of displacement, velocity and acceleration (translational and rotational), force, torque, vibration and shock. Measurement of pressure, flow, temperature and liquid level. Measurement of pH, conductivity, viscosity and humidity. Bridges and potentiometers, PMMC moving iron, dynamometer and induction type instruments — measurement of voltage, current, power, energy and power factor — instrument transformers — digital voltmeters and multimeters — phase, time and frequency measurement — Q-meter, oscilloscopes, potentiometric recorders, error analysis.
- Analog and Digital Electronics :- Analog Electronics: Characteristics of diodes, BJT, FET, SCR — amplifiers-biasing, equivalent circuit and frequency response — oscillators and feedback amplifiers, operational amplifiers- characteristics and applications — simple active filters — Instrumentation amplifier– precision rectifier– V-to-I and I-to-V converter –oscillators and signal generators–VCOs and timers.Digital Electronics: Combinational logic circuits, minimization of Boolean functions. IC families, TTL, MOS and CMOS. Arithmetic circuits. Comparators, Schmitt trigger, timers and mono-stable multi-vibrator. Sequential circuits, flip-flops, counters, shift registers. Multiplexer, S/H circuit. Analog-to-Digital and Digital-to-Analog converters. Basics of number system. Microprocessor applications, memory and input-output interfacing. Microcontrollers.
- Telecommunication Engineering :- Signals, Systems and Communications: Periodic and aperiodic signals. Impulse response, transfer function and frequency response of first- and second order systems. Convolution, correlation and characteristics of linear time invariant systems. Discrete time system, impulse and frequency response. Pulse transfer function. IIR and FIR filters. Amplitude and frequency modulation and demodulation. Sampling theorem, pulse code modulation. Frequency and time division multiplexing.
EKT Exam Questions
1. Binary means…..
(b) Four (c) Two (d) None of the above.
2. The digits used in a binary systems are ……and …..
(a) 9 and 0
(b) 0 and 1
(c) 1 and 2
(d) None of the above
3. The hexadecimal number system is widely used in analyzing and programming
(d) None of the above.
for more details visit: careerairforce.nic.in