In a big boost to the indigenous Hawk-i program, HAL today successfully test fired a Smart Anti Airfield Weapon (SAAW) from the Hawk-i aircraft off the coast of Odisha. The indigenous stand-off weapon developed by Research Centre Imarat (RCI), DRDO is the first smart weapon fired from an Indian Hawk-Mk132.
“HAL has been focusing on the Atmanirbhar Bharat campaign. The Company owned Hawk-i platform is being extensively used for certification of systems and weapons developed indigenously by DRDO and CSIR labs” said Mr. R. Madhavan, CMD, HAL.
The aircraft flown by HAL test pilots Wg Cdr (Retd) P Awasthi and Wg Cdr (Retd) M Patel executed the weapon release in a text book manner and all mission objectives were met. The telemetry and tracking systems captured all the mission events confirming the success of the trials.
Mr. Arup Chatterjee, Director, Engineering and R&D, HAL said HAL is indigenously enhancing the training and combat capability of Hawk-i. HAL is in discussions with Indian Armed Forces for integration of various weapons on Hawk platform.
The Hawk-i is HAL’s internally funded program offering the Indian Armed Forces an upgrade and combat capability for the Hawk, transforming it into an Advanced Jet Trainer providing training on sensors and weapons in peacetime into a potent combat platform during conflict.
The SAAW is an aircraft launched, advanced, precision strike weapon of 125 Kg category used to attack and destroy enemy airfield assets such as radars, bunkers, taxi tracks, runways within a range of 100 kms. SAAW has been earlier successfully test fired from Jaguar aircraft.
All You Need To Know About Hawk Aircraft
The Hawk is a tandem-seat Aircraft for ground attack, flying training and weapon training. It has a low wing and an all-metal structure and is powered by an Adour Mk 871 turbofan engine. The Aircraft has an integrated navigation /attack system and radio and inertial navigation systems. The Aircraft is cleared for instrument (IFR) flying and for Solo Instrument flying from the front cockpit only.
|Dimensions||Wing Data||Weight||Fuel Capacity||Power Plant|
|Length: 12.43 m||Area (Gross): 16.70 m2||Maximum Takeoff: 9100 kg||Internal : 360 Imp Galls||Rolls Royce Adour MK 871 Turbofan|
|Wing Span: 9.940 m|
Height: 3.98 m
|Sweep (at quarter chord): 21º 31’ 55”||Basic Mass (Empty): 4,440 Kg||Ext. Drop Tanks: 2 x 130 Imp Galls||Static Thrust at sea level: 1 x 25.5 kN (5730 lbf) at sea level ISA|
- The aircraft has excellent flying characteristics with good stability and response to controls about all three axes
- The aircraft is cleared for a wide range of aerobatic manoeuvres and exhibits very good resistance to departure even outside the normal flight envelope
- At incidences up to the stall, the aircraft is stable about all axes for all flap configurations
- Recovery from any stall is immediate on moving the control column forward
- The Hawk Mk.132 wing has a moderate amount of fixed droop to the leading edge to aid sustained turn performance in the speed range 0.4 to 0.7 M
- The aircraft is spin-resistant, but is cleared for deliberate upright spinning in the basic aircraft configuration with or without the gunpod
- The aircraft is currently cleared for take-off and landing with a crosswind component of 30 knots (55 km/hr)
- For solo flying the front cockpit is used
- The aircraft has an inverted flight (negative g) capability of 30 secs
- The aircraft may be flown at night, either dual or solo, without any additional flight limitations
|Maximum Level Speed||Service||Radius of action with max. pay load|
|At Sea Level: 0.84 Mach||Ceiling: 13533 m (13.53 km)||Lo-Lo-Lo: 267 km (267000 m)|
|At 30000 ft: 0.85 Mach||Take-off run: 664 m|
Landing run: 799 m
|Hi-Hi-Hi: 754 km (754000 m)|
The Division has made a breakthrough on Exports by bagging the biggest ever export contract from Airbus Industries France, for the supply of Forward Passenger Doors for A320/A321.
The Division’s performance in the supply of export packages has been credited with “No rejection “and “No Delay “at most competitive prices.
Aircraft Division, HAL is an Established Exporter To
- Boeing 777 Uplock Box
- F/A 18 Gun Bay Door
- F/A 18 Wire Harness
- P-8I Weapon Bay Door
- A320 Forward Passenger Doors
- Boeing 737-300 Cargo Conversion Door & Kits
- G-150 Rear Fuselage
You can prepare for SSB interview and defence entrance exams such as NDA, AFCAT, INET, and CDS by taking Written Online courses as they will not only give you access to full-length quality lectures but will also provide the facility to take standardized mock tests for better study and strategic growth in the exam. You can take multiple quizzes after each lesson to ensure the full understanding of the subject along with creating your customized lesson plans. You can check out the course content along with other important specifics at SSBCrack exams.
You can also access them through the SSBCrack Exams app available in the google play store.