The Territorial Army which is also known as TA is an excellent opportunity for civilians who are gainfully employed in their respective fields and want to help the nation by joining the Indian army without losing their current job. When you join Territorial Army, you become an additional force for the Indian army which is being utilized as and when required. So it is a matter of pride to become a part of the great Indian army and helping it. In this article, we are going to discuss more on how one could join the Indian Territorial Army.
Territorial Army India Eligibility Conditions
- Only male citizens of India and Ex-service officers who are medically fit*.
- Age – 18 to 42 years.
- Qualification – Graduate from any recognized university.
- Employment – Gainfully Employed in Central Govt/Semi Govt /Pvt Firm/ Own business/Self Employed**.
*(Note: Serving Employees of Police/Paramilitary Forces are not eligible.)
** (Gainfully employed means currently working in a good position and earning well enough)
Territorial Army Terms and Conditions
- Starting rank after completing Territorial Army training would be a commissioned rank of Lieutenant.
- Pay and Allowances and privileges will be same as regular Army Officers when embodied for training and military service*.
- Promotions up to Lt Col by time scale subject to fulfilling laid down criteria.
- Promotion to Colonel and Brigadier by selection.
- Officers commissioned in TA Infantry may be called out for military service for longer duration depending on requirement.
*( You will be paid only when you are embodied for training and military services, in short you will get the payment only when you are working for Indian army and not when you are working for your current company or doing business)
Territorial Army Training Details
- One month basic training in the first year of commission.
- Two months annual training camp every year including the first year.
- Three months Post Commissioning training within first two years at OTA Chennai
Territorial Army Selection Procedure
For Civilian Candidates:
- Candidates, whose applications forms are found, correct after scrutinisation will be called for screening, by a Preliminary Interview Board (PIB), at their respective TA Group Headquarters.
- Candidates selected by PIB should provide brief BIO-DATA to include details about their employment with monthly income from all sources at the time of documentation immediately after PIB.
- Successful candidates will further undergo a Service Selection Board (SSB) and Medical Board for final selection
For Ex Service Officers Only
- Ex Service Officers of three services as a candidate should send their application alongwith enclosures as mentioned in application form to Addl Directorate General TA, Integrated HQ of MoD (Army), ‘L’ Block, New Delhi-01.
- The candidates are screened by an Army HQ Selection Board (ASB) held at Addl Dte Gen TA Army HQ, ‘L’ Block, New Delhi which is followed by a Medical Board for successful candidates.
One can apply and follow the procedure mentioned above as and when territorial army notification is published. To track latest happenings and notification of territorial army India visit official Indian army website.