Daily Defence Current Affairs 13 January 2022
Senior Rocket Scientist Dr. Somanath Is New ISRO Chairman
- Senior rocket scientist S Somanath has been appointed as the tenth chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and secretary, department of space (DoS). He will replace K Sivan, who will complete his term, which included a one-year extension, on January 14.
- Somanath, who at present is serving as director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC).
Threat Remains in Eastern Ladakh: Army Chief
- As India and China held the 14th round of the Corps Commander talks on Wednesday, Army Chief Gen. Manoj Naravane said that while there has been partial disengagement in eastern Ladakh, the threat has by no means reduced and the Army has bolstered its position “manifold” in the last year and a half.
- M N Naravane said the new Chinese border law that came into effect on January 1 is unlikely to have any military ramifications and if any the Army is adequately prepared to handle it.
- “War or conflict is always an instrument of last resort. But if resorted to, we will come out victorious,” he asserted.
Indian Navy Hands Over Interceptor Craft to Mozambique
- The Indian Navy has handed over two Solas Marine fast interceptor craft to Mozambique and provided military training during a port visit by the tank landing ship INS Kesari.
- Indian Naval Ship Kesari entered the Port of Maputo on 25 December under Mission Sagar, India’s initiative to deliver COVID-19 related assistance to countries in the Indian Ocean region.
Ultra And Mahindra Partner to Win Major Contract With The Indian Navy
- Ultra is pleased to announce, in partnership with Mahindra Defence Systems Limited, the award of the Integrated Anti-Submarine Warfare Defence Suite (IADS) programme for selected frontline warships of the Indian Navy. The contract is worth approximately £60 million to Ultra. Deliveries are due to commence in 2024 and are to be completed by 2030.
- IADS provides a powerful multi-sensor ASW capability using an in-line active and passive towed Low-Frequency Variable Depth Sonar as well as Torpedo Defence with embedded detection, classification & localisation to defeat detected Torpedo threats.
- “IADS is the first major contract from the Indian Navy to an Indian private sector company for underwater detection and protection from threats.
TS Tirumurti Interacts with CTC Officials, Shares India’s Stand on Counterterrorism
- Chair of Counter-Terrorism Committee (CTC) of UN Security Council, T. S. Tirumurti virtually interacted with the Acting Executive Director of the Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED) , to discuss CTC’s 2022 priorities and shared India’s perspective on counterterrorism.
- T.S. Tirumurti, India’s permanent representative to the United Nations was named the new Chair of the UN Counter-Terrorism Committee (CTC) on January 4, 2022.
- The CTC Committee was formed in September 2001 soon after the tragic terrorist attack of 9/11 in New York, while India had chaired this Committee in the Security Council in 2011-12.
- In 2021, India has been asked to Chair three important Committees of the Security Council, which include the Taliban Sanctions Committee, Counterterrorism Committee, and the Libyan Sanctions Committee.
- 53rd Foundation Day of INA celebrated on__
- 05 Jan 2022
- 06 Jan 2022
- 07 Jan 2022
- 08 Jan 2022
- __ is India’s permanent representative to the United Nations.
- Ashok Roy
- T. S. Tirumurti
- Anupam Roy
- Harshvardhan Sringla
- Who has been appointed as India’s next permanent representative to the UN Conference on Disarmament in Geneva?
- Sashi Paul
- Sushil Kumar Popli
- Anupam Ray
- Rajiv Kumar
- __ is the Commandant of the Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala.
- Vice Admiral Y K Joshi
- Vice Admiral Amit Arora
- Vice Admiral Amit Tawdae
- Vice Admiral Puneet K Bahl
- The Indian Navy has handed over two ____to Mozambique.
- Solas Marine fast interceptor craft
- The Republic of Mozambique is located at__
- Southeastern America
- Southwestern Africa
- Southeastern Africa
- South Africa
- ___has been appointed as the 10th chairman of the ISRO.
- K. Sivan
- S Somanath
- Ritu Karidhal Srivastava
- Muthayya Vanitha
- What is the time period of India as a non-permanent member of the United Nations Security Council?
- January 1, 2021, to December 31, 2022
- January 1, 2021, to December 31, 2023
- January 1, 2021, to December 31, 2024
- January 1, 2021, to December 31, 2025
- With reference to Defence, what is ‘ASMI’?
- Machine Pistol
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
- Anti-tank Guided Missile
- Artillery Gun
- Who is the Army Commander of Central Command of Indian Army?
- Lieutenant General JS Nain
- Lieutenant General Yogesh Kumar Joshi
- Lieutenant General Manoj Pande
- Lieutenant General Yogendra Dimri
- Army Training Command located at__