DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 08 January 2021
Increased Election Expenditure Limit
- The expenditure limit for candidates for Lok Sabha constituencies was increased from Rs 54 lakh-Rs 70 lakh (depending on states) to Rs 70 lakh-Rs 95 lakh, by the Election Commission of India (ECI).
- Further, the spending limit for Assembly constituencies was hiked from Rs 20 lakh-Rs 28 lakh to Rs 28 lakh- Rs 40 lakh (depending on states).
- In 2020, the ECI had formed a committee 2020 to study the election spending limit.
- The enhanced amount of Rs 40 lakh would apply in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and Punjab and ₹28 lakh in Goa and Manipur.
- Apart from a 10% increase in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the last major revision in spending limits for candidates was carried out in 2014.
- The committee found that there has been an increase in the number of electors and Cost Inflation Index since 2014 substantially.
Green Energy Corridor (GEC) Phase-II for Intra-State Transmission System (InSTS)
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the scheme on Green Energy Corridor (GEC) Phase-II for Intra-State Transmission System (InSTS).
- It aims at synchronizing the electricity produced from renewable resources, such as wind and solar, with the conventional power stations in the grid.
- It aims to achieve the target of 450 GW installed RE capacity by 2030.
- It will contribute to the long-term energy security of India and will promote ecologically sustainable growth by reducing carbon footprint.
- Phase 1 of the Green Energy Corridor is already under implementation in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Rajasthan.
- It is working for the grid integration and power evacuation of about 24GW of Renewable Energy.
- Phase 2 of the Green Energy Corridor will facilitate grid integration and power evacuation of approximately 20 GW of Renewable Energy (RE) power projects in seven States namely, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh.
- The transmission systems will be created over a period of five years from Financial Year 2021-22 to 2025-26.
India Crosses Milestone Of 150 Crore Corona Vaccine Doses
- Health Minister Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya on Friday said that the country has crossed the historic figure of administering 150 crore corona vaccines under the dynamic leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the relentless hard work of the health workers.
- In a tweet, Dr. Mandaviya said, when everyone makes effort together then any goal can be achieved.
20 Crore Unorganized Workers Register On E-shram Portal
- 20 crore unorganized workers have registered on the E-shram portal. On this achievement, Minister of Labour and Employment Bhupinder Yadav has thanked everyone for their efforts.
- eSHRAM portal was launched on 26 August last year to create a National Database of Unorganized Workers.
3rd National Water Awards 2020 Announced
- Uttar Pradesh has been awarded first prize in the state category of the 3rd National Water Awards 2020. This follows Rajasthan occupying 2nd place, while Tamil Nadu secured 3rd place.
- Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat today declared the winners of the National Water Awards. The 57 awards were announced in 11 categories including Best States, District, Panchayat, and Best Industries.
- India has more than 18 percent of the world’s population but has only four percent of the world’s renewable water resources.
- National Water Awards were instituted to recognize and encourage exemplary work and efforts made by States, Districts, individuals, and organizations across the country in attaining the government’s vision of a Jal Samridh Bharat.
Startup India Innovation Week 2022
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry is organizing Startup India Innovation Week from 10th to 16th of this month. In the context of ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’, this virtual innovation celebration is designed to showcase the spread and depth of entrepreneurship across India.
- It will have sessions on a range of topics such as Enhancing Market Access Opportunities, Discussions with Industry leaders, Best Practices by States, Capacity Building of Enablers, etc.
- The program is expected to bring together top policymakers, industry, academia, investors, startups, and all ecosystem enablers from across the globe.
75th Establishment Day of Bureau of Indian Standards
- Addressing 75th Establishment Day of Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution Piyush Goyal said that Quality is not expensive it is cost-effective. He highlighted that For BIS to grow it should work as a facilitator, not an obstructer.
- He said that BIS should develop as a global organization, learn from global experiences, and integrate global standards.
- Mr. Goyal said that nothing short of quality or standard revolution is required. He said that one Nation One Standard will become a game-changer in this regard. Mr. Goyal said that many manufacturing units today look at Total Quality Control or Six Sigma level of quality where they are counting defects or errors and very strict measures are taken.
- The minister said that this is the Hallmark of a progressive, modern, and developed Nation.
- Which of the following is not a feature of the Election system in India?
- Universal Adult Franchise
- Secret Voting
- Reservation of seats for SC/ST
- Communal Electorate
- Elections in India for Parliament and State Legislatures are conducted by
- State Election Commission
- Election Commission of India
- Members of the Election Commission are appointed by
- President of India
- Prime Minister of India
- Elected by the people
- Chief Justice of India
- Which article of the Indian constitution says that will be an election commission in India?
- Article 124
- Article 342
- Article 324
- Article 115
- What is the maximum allowed duration between the last session of the dissolved Lok Sabha and the recalling of the Lok Sabha?
- 2 months
- 4 months
- 5 months
- 6 months
- Bureau of Indian Standards was established in
- Current DG of Bureau of Indian Standards
- Pramod Kumar Tiwari
- Rajendra Lahiri
- B P Singh
- Ram Manohar Prasad
- Startup India Scheme Was Launched In Which Year
- Startup India Initiative Works Under the Aegis Of
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade
- Ministry of Finance
- Both A & B
- Current Minister of State for Commerce and Industry in India
- Anand Sharma
- Piyush Goyal
- Anupriya Patel
- Nirmala Sitharaman
- Latest Daily Current Affairs and Defence Updates
- Monthly Current Affairs December 2021 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs November 2021 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs October 2021 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs September 2021 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
Leave a Reply