We all want success, don’t we? The fields may be different but the goal is the same for most of us- success. We often try to work different ideas out to see what helps us in achieving our goals and making us successful in life. We look up to people our role models who have made it big in this world and aspire to be one of them. Their stories of success and hard work are what drives us to some extent to achieve our own goals. There’s something about the successful people and their personality that makes all the hard work look like a cakewalk. It’s also no surprise that most of the successful people practice some principles in life. There are certain habits that they have cultivated in themselves which make it so much easier for them to climb the ladder of success.
Let’s take a look at the habits of successful leaders:
1. They respect others: It’s very important to gain trust and respect of others and this will only come if you show and give them respect first. Nobody likes a person who bosses around, especially in a team, where every member is the same, no one is better and no one is worse. The successful leaders know that in order to achieve great results you need to work with the people as a team and respect everyone equally.
2. Professional goals come before personal goals: If you want to be successful and want to be praised for your work you need to give your work the priority, not your personal gains. The results of a job well done will automatically speak a lot about. Successful leaders never ever do a task because they are being profited; they always put their work above their own interests.
3. They choose their friends wisely: It’s proven that if your set of friends are discouraging you and tend to have a negative outlook towards the world then all of their negativity, laziness and small thinking will have an impact on you and their work output. Successful leaders know this and they are very selective while choosing their friends.
4. They look at capability and not the status: Capability needs to be acknowledged and nurtured as per the demands and the requirements. It shouldn’t matter if a person is from a particular social status or caste as long as he is capable of doing his job. Successful leaders value such people who have the capability and listen to their ideas and points.
5. They acknowledge everyone involved in a task: It so happens at times that some people who are very much a part of a task/project aren’t thanked let alone praised for their hard work and they often end up feeling that they have a very thankless job. Successful leaders understand that no task and no role are small and so they acknowledge and thank all those involved in successfully completing a task.
6. They are honest with their bosses and trust their juniors: It’s natural for things to not go according to plan sometimes and it’s ok if that happens. Successful individuals will keep all the information good/bad out and open in front of their bosses. It’s always better to share and report things as they are instead of modifying it in a way so that it sounds better. The last thing you want is to be labelled a liar, so might as well tell the truth always. They trust their juniors and subordinates that they are capable to achieve the defined tasks and goals. The trust needs to be there for the proper and smooth functioning of the group.
7. They are supportive: A good and a successful leader always supports the budding leader of tomorrow and all those who are capable of doing and achieving great things. They teach concepts to others which they have learned over the years, helping the newbies develop a different perspective.
8. They value their family: Successful leaders/people understand the value of their family members in their lives and they give them the time and respect that they deserve. No work is so important that the family ought to take a backseat. Family is always the number one priority.