What are the key provisions of the Social Security Code 2020?
- Recently, Lok Sabha passed the Social Security Code, 2020
- Social Security is a measure to ensure access to health care and provisions of income security to workers.
- This replaces nine laws related to social security, including the Employees’ Provident Fund Act, 1952, the Maternity Benefit Act, 1961, and the Unorganised Workers’ Social Security Act, 2008.
- The code universalizes social security coverage to those working in the unorganised sector, such as migrant workers, gig workers and platform workers.
- Provisions of this will also be extended to agricultural workers also.
- The code also reduces the time limit for receiving gratuity payment.
- A “Social Security Fund” will be created on the financial side in order to implement these schemes.
- PM Modi inaugurated 6 mega projects in Uttarakhand under Namami Gange.
- These six mega projects of Sewage Treatment Plants (STP) are constructed at Haridwar, Rishikesh, Muni ki Reti, Chorpani, and Badrinath.
- The Ganga Avalokan Museum, the first of its kind on the River Ganga at Haridwar was also inaugurated.
- “Rowing Down the Ganges” book was also released which explains in detail how the River Ganges stands as a glowing symbol of India’s Culture, Faith and Heritage.
- The logo of Jal Jeevan Mission and ‘Margdarshika for Gram Panchayats and Paani Samitis under Jal Jeevan Mission’ is also unveiled during the event.
- Namami Gange Programme
- It is an Integrated Conservation Mission.
- A ‘Flagship Programme’ established by the Union Government in June 2014
- Objective: To accomplish the twin objectives of effective abatement of pollution and conservation and rejuvenation of National River Ganga.
India-Denmark Green Strategic Partnership
- India and the Kingdom of Denmark have launched the Green Strategic Partnership for delivering sustainable solutions to India.
- India and Denmark will cooperate through relevant ministries, institutions and stakeholders.
- What is the Green Strategic Partnership?
- The partnership implies political cooperation, expand economic relations and green growth, create jobs and strengthen cooperation on addressing global challenges and opportunities.
- It will be focusing on an ambitious implementation of the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Crimes in India report
- Recently, National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB) released a report titled “Crime in India”, 2019.
- Crimes against women increased 7.3% from 2018 to 2019, and crimes against Scheduled Castes also went up 7.3%
- Key Findings:
- UP reported highest number of cases in both the categories, crimes against women and crimes against scheduled castes.
- Assam reported the highest rate of crimes against women (per lakh population),
- While Rajasthan had the highest rate of crimes against Scheduled Castes.
- A total of 4,05,861 cases of crime against women were registered during 2019.
- Not only women, the figures collated by NCRB also indicate an upward trend in cases linked to crimes against children.
- From 2018, the crimes against children have gone up by of 4.5 per cent in 2019.
- National Crime Record Bureau:
- Functions under the Union Home Ministry.
- It was set up in 1986
- Aim: Collecting and analysing crime data from across the country.
01 October: International Day of the Elderly
- The International Day of Older Persons (IDOP) is observed every year on October 1 to raise awareness about issues affecting elderly and to appreciate contributions that older people make to society.
- Theme: “Leave No One Behind”
Current COVID19 Situation in India
Ganga Avalokan Museum is located at:
- None of these
Answer – B
In which year Namami Gange Programme was launched?
Answer – C
According to the recent report by NCRB which state reported the highest rate of crimes against women?
- Uttar Pradesh
Answer – B
Question of the Day
What is Mission Indradhanush?
Answer in next session…