What is Ghar Tak Fibre Scheme?
- Recently, the Prime Minister of India inaugurated ‘Ghar Tak Fibre’ scheme in Bihar.
- The scheme aims to connect all 45,945 villages of Bihar with high-speed optical fibre internet by 31st March 2021.
- The scheme aims to provide optical fibre enabled internet connections to every home in the country, concentrating on the village and rural areas.
- During his 74th independence-day address, PM Modi had said that over 1.5 lakh village panchayats have received optical fibre connections after 2014 under the scheme.
- The CSC Wi-Fi Choupal is an initiative to provide high-speed internet connectivity to rural India. It ensures digital connectivity using Bharat Net.
- The Scheme will be implemented by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
Asafoetida (Heeng) cultivation in Himalayan Region
- CSIR- Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology (IHBT), Palampur, makes history by introducing asafoetida (Heeng) cultivation in Indian Himalayan region.
- Asafoetida is one of the top condiments and is a high value spice crop in India.
- India imports about 1200 tonnes of raw asafoetida annually from Afghanistan, Iran and Uzbekistan and spends approximately 100 million USD per year.
- In the past thirty years, this has been the first attempt for introduction of asafoetida seeds in the country.
- The cultivation has been started in Kwaring village in Lahaul valley of Himachal Pradesh.
- Raw asafoetida is extracted from the fleshy roots of Ferula assa-foetida as an oleo-gum resin.
- Although, there are about 130 species of Ferula found in the world, but only Ferula assa-foetidais the economically important species used for the production of asafoetida.
First-ever SCO Startup Forum
- The first-ever SCO Startup Forum will be launched on 27th October 2020 ahead of the SCO trade ministers meeting on 28th October.
- The forum will lay the foundation for multilateral cooperation and engagement among the SCO Member States.
- It will help to develop their startup ecosystems collectively.
- Innovation and Startups will be the key focus area of SCO Heads of Government meeting on 30th November 2020 to be hosted by India.
- India is currently the third-largest startup ecosystem in the world with over 35,000 startups
- Close to 25% of which are core technology startups operating in areas of AI, Robotics, Cloud Computing, IoT, Digital Health, Financial & Education Technology.
- The ‘Startup India’ has launched 10 bilateral bridges since its inception and has helped many technology-based startups to expand their businesses to global markets.
Framework for Regulatory Sandbox
- The International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) has introduced a framework for “Regulatory Sandbox”.
- Regulatory Sandbox is a safe harbour, where businesses can test innovative products under relaxed regulatory conditions.
- Typically, participating companies release new products in a controlled environment to a limited number of customers for a limited period of time.
- Framework released by IFSCA:
- Entities operating in the capital market, banking, insurance and financial services space shall be granted facilities to experiment with innovative FinTech solutions in a live environment with a limited set of real customers for a limited time frame.
- These features shall be fortified with necessary safeguards for investor protection and risk mitigation. The Regulatory Sandbox shall operate within the IFSC located at GIFT City.
First multi-modal logistic park
- Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways will virtually lay the foundation stone for the first-ever multi-modal logistic park in Assam.
- The first-ever multi-modal logistic park will be built in Assam.
- It will also give employment to 20 lakh people.
- The Rs 694 crore park will provide direct connectivity to air, road, rail and waterways to the people.
- It will be developed under the ambitious Bharatmala Pariyojana of the Government of India.
Current COVID19 Situation in India
India has taken up cultivation of which spice for the first time?
- Mustard Seeds
Answer – B
The first Ferula Asafoetida plantation has been done in which state?
- Himanchal Pradesh
Answer – B
First multi-modal logistic park will be build in:
- Himanchal Pradesh
Answer – C
Question of the Day
What are the roles and functions of International Financial Services Centres Authority?
Answer in next session…