What is a Time Capsule?
- Time Capsule is a container of any size or shape, which accommodates documents, photos, and artefacts typical of the current era and is buried underground, for future generations to unearth.
- It is built using special engineering techniques like steel or aluminum encasing, vacuuming, use of acid-free paper, etc.
- Mostly they have a scheduled time for reopening, and are supposed to be buried again after opening, with people of the future adding their own contributions to the time capsule.
- There are 10,000-15,000 times capsules worldwide.
- It is a method of communication with future people, also supposed to help future archaeologists, anthropologists, or historians in knowing about the past human civilization.
- Time Capsules in India:
- Outside the Red Fort: This was placed by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1972.
- At IIT Kanpur Campus: This time capsule was buried on 6th March 2010 containing details on IIT Kanpur.
- At the Alexandra Girls’ English Institution, Mumbai: It was set up in the 19th century and is scheduled to be opened in 2062.
- At Jalandhar’s Lovely Public University: It was buried in January 2019 and contains 100 items that represent modern-day technology in India.
Tourism Ministry inaugurates Thenzawl Golf Resort project in Mizoram
- Project has been virtually inaugurated by the Union Minister of State for Culture & Tourism Shri Prahlad Singh Patel.
- The project has been implemented under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism, GoI.
- The project was sanctioned under the Integrated Development of New Eco-Tourism.
- A total amount of Rs. 92.25 crore was sanctioned for it, out of which Rs. 64.48 crore was sanctioned for various components at Thenzawl.
Swachh Bharat Kranti
- The book was officially launched by Union Minister of Jal Shakti, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, and Union Minister of Textiles and Women & Child Development Smriti Irani.
- It is a translated copy of the book “Swachh Bharat Revolution”
- The book is about the journey of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- It has 35 essays arranged under four pillars:
- Public Financing
- Political leadership
- Participation of People in the mission
- It is a compilation of essays written by Arun Jaitley, Amitabh Kant, Ratan Tata, Sadhguru, Amitabh Bachchan, Akshay Kumar, Bill Gates amongst others.
- Swachh Bharat Mission
- Launched: 2nd October 2014
- Implemented by: Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Aim: To achieve a clean and open defecation free (ODF) India.
UN Report: Impact of Covid-19 on Education
- United Nation has released its policy brief on the pandemic’s impact on education.
- Almost 24 million children could drop out or not have access to school next year due to the economic impact of Covid-19.
- It will increase the Disparities with vulnerable populations in low-income countries.
- More than 1.6 billion learners affected across the world.
- Girls and young women are likely to be disproportionately affected.
- Three-way loss:
- Learning: More than two-thirds of countries have introduced a national distance learning platform, but among low-income countries the share of distance learning is only 30%. Online learning is not accessible for poor.
- Economic: Loss might reach $16,000 of lost earnings over a student’s lifetime, translating over time into $10 trillion of lost earnings globally. Estimated 42-66 million children could fall into extreme poverty as a result of pandemic.
- Increased financial gap: The COVID-19 crisis is likely to increase that financing gap by up to one-third.
6th August: Hiroshima Day
- Annually 6th of August marks the anniversary of the atomic bombing in Hiroshima during World War II.
- Incident took place in 1945.
- United States dropped an atomic bomb named “Little Boy”, on the town of Hiroshima in Japan.
- Killed over 80,000 people.
- Three days later, another atomic bomb called “Fat Man” was dropped over Nagasaki killing more than 40,000 people.
- The survivors of the bomb are known as “Hibakushas”
- This day is remembered to promote peace and spread awareness about the danger of nuclear energy and nuclear weapons.
- Important Facts:
- 2nd World War was active in 1939- 1945.
- Atomic bomb was loaded with more than 9000-pound uranium-235.
- Dropped by United States warplane Enola Gay.
Current COVID19 Situation in India
Thenzawl Golf Resort is located at:
Answer – B
Swachh Bharat Kranti compilation of essays written by:
- Akshay Kumar
- Bill Gates
- Arun Jaitley
- All of the Above
Answer – D
Swachh Bharat Mission launched on the birth anniversary of which of the following?
- Kasturba Gandhi
- Vallabh Bhai Patel
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Jawaharlal Nehru
Answer – C
Hiroshima Day is observed on which of the following dates?
- 6 August
- 7 August
- 8 August
- 9 August
Answer – A
United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima in which of the following year?
Answer – B
Question of the Day
What is Swadesh Darshan Scheme?
Answer in next session…