Saikhom Mirabai Chanu (born 8 August 1994) is an Indian weightlifter. She won Silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in Women’s 49 kg, bringing India its first medal in the event. A regular presence in international events since 2014 in the 48 kg category, Chanu has won the World Championships and multiple medals at the Commonwealth Games. She was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India for her contributions to the sport. She was awarded Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award by the Government of India in 2018.
Chanu had won the silver medal in the women’s 48 kg weight class at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, Glasgow; she went on to break the games record en route to the gold medal at the 2018 edition of the event held in Gold Coast. Her biggest achievement came in 2017, when she won the gold medal at World Weightlifting Championships held in Anaheim, United States.
Here’s everything you need to know about Mirabai Chanu
- Full Name: Miss Saikhom Mirabai Chanu
- Father’s Name : Shri Saikhom Kriti Meetei
- Date of Birth: 01.03.1994
- Educational Qualification: BA (Graduate)
- Appointment : 31.08.2015 as Sr.Ticket Collector, under Lumding Division/NFR
- Present Designation : OSD (Sports) under PCPO since April 2018
- Event: Weightlifting
- Weight category: 49kg
- Family: Mother, Father, two brothers & three sisters
9 Major Achievements
- Silver Medal at 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Silver Medal at Commonwealth Games, Glasgow, 2014.
- Gold Medal in Women Senior National Weightlifting Championship, 2016.
- Gold Medal in World Weight Lifting Championship, Anaheim, USA, 2017
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna for 2018
- Awarded Padma Shree in 2018
- Gold Medal in Women Sr. National WL Championship, Mangalore, Jan. 2018
- Gold Medal in Commonwealth Games, Gold Coast Australia, 2018
- Sets World Record in Clean & Jerk by lifting 119 kgs in the Asian Championship held at Tashkent, in April 2021.