On September 19, 2022, Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh and Egyptian Defense Minister General Mohamed Zaki met in Cairo to talk. Shri Rajnath Singh, who is on an official trip to Egypt, was given a Guard of Honour ceremony at the Ministry of Defense in Cairo before bilateral talks began. During the meeting, both sides talked about ways to improve their defence ties. They agreed to increase joint exercises and the exchange of personnel for training, especially in the area of counter-insurgency.
10 Key takeaways from India-Egypt Bilateral talks
- The two Ministers also agreed to find ways for the defence industries of India and Egypt to work together more in a time-bound way. They also talked about regional security and how India and Egypt have helped bring peace and stability to the world. Even though COVID-19 is a pandemic, both sides were happy with the increased defence engagement and exchanges over the past year.
- After the Raksha Mantri met with Mr. Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, the President of Egypt, both Ministers agreed to strengthen security and defence cooperation between the two countries. The two Defense Ministers signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the field of defence. This was one of the most important things to happen during the visit, and it will pave the way for better defence cooperation in all areas of mutual interest.
- Shri Rajnath Singh also invited his Egyptian counterpart to the India-Africa Defense Dialogue and IOR Defense Ministers’ Conclave, which will be held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, between October 18 and 22, 2022, as part of the 12th DefExpo.
- As part of his day’s activities, the Raksha Mantri paid his respects at the Unknown Soldier Memorial and Tombstone of the late Egyptian President Anwar El–Sadat in Cairo.
- On September 19, 2022, Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh went to Cairo to see Mr. Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, who is the President of Egypt. President El-Sisi welcomed the Raksha Mantri with open arms. He said that India and Egypt have had good relations with each other for a long time. He said that he was glad that cooperation between the two countries’ militaries had reached a new level and that the signing of the MoU on defence cooperation was a big step forward.
- Both leaders agreed to strengthen military cooperation and put more attention on joint training, coproduction for defence, and equipment maintenance. They stressed the importance of coproduction and the need to talk about specific ideas in this area. Shri Rajnath Singh said that he was glad Egypt was taking a strong stand against terrorism. President Sisi made it clear that India and Egypt need to share their knowledge and best ideas about how to fight terrorism.
- The Raksha Mantri said that Egypt is one of India’s most important trading partners in Africa and that trade between the two countries has grown a lot. He was happy to hear that India and Egypt work well together in multilateral forums. Shri Rajnath Singh sent his best wishes for the November 2022 COP27 meeting to go well.
- To strengthen defence ties, they agreed to do more joint exercises and swap people for training. Signed a memorandum of understanding to improve defence cooperation in all areas of mutual interest.
- He was given an overview on recent engagements of IAF with Egyptian Air Force & briefed on recent Tactical Leadership Programme in which 3 x Su-30MKI fighter aircraft of IAF participated in July 2022. During his visit to Egyptian Air Force Museum in Cairo, Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath singh witnessed the Helwan 300 fighter jet which was a Joint Development project between India and Egypt.
- Both sides agree to make military cooperation even stronger and focus on joint training, defence coproduction, and equipment maintenance.
Some of the important military exercises between India & Egypt
- Indian Air Force Participated In Bilateral Tactical Leadership Programme With The Egyptian Air Force
- INS Tabar Conducts Maritime Partnership Exercise With Egyptian Navy
To crack the SSB Interview and join the Indian Armed Forces as an Officer, You can join our SSB interview live classes batch and we recommend you to Enroll SSB INTERVIEW ONLINE COURSE. Trusted by thousands of defence aspirants.