DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 26 – 27 September 2021
Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya Remembered
- Deendayal Upadhyaya (25 September 1916 – 11 February 1968) was an Indian politician and thinker of right-wing Hindutva ideology espoused by the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), and leader of the political party Bharatiya Jana Sangh (BJS), the forerunner of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- He was also known as Panditji for appearing in the civil services examination hall wearing the traditional Indian dhoti-kurta and cap.
MILITARY ENGINEER SERVICES DAY
- The Military Engineer Services (MES) is a premier construction agency and one of the pillars of Corps of Engineers of the Indian Army which provides rear line engineering support to the Armed Forces and associated organisations of the Ministry of Defence (MoD). It is one of largest construction and maintenance agencies in India with a total annual workload to the tune of approximately ₹ 30000 crore.
- The MES which carries out multifarious construction activities such as residential and office buildings, hospitals, roads, runways and marine structures across the country including border areas. Besides conventional buildings, MES is also involved in the construction of sophisticated and complex laboratories, factories, workshops, hangars, ammunition storage facilities, dockyards, jetties/ wharves, and other complex/ special structures.
SAUBHAGYA Completes FOUR Years
- 2.82 crore households have been electrified since the launch of SAUBHAGYA. These figures are till March 31st of this year. As of March 2019, 2.63 crore willing un-electrified households in rural and urban areas of the country were provided electricity connections in a record time of 18 months.
- Subsequently seven states- Assam, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Manipur, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh reported that around 18.85 lakh un-electrified households, identified before 31.03.2019, which were unwilling earlier, but later expressed their willingness to get electricity connections, were also covered under the scheme.
- SAUBHAGYA is one of the largest household electrification drives in the world. SAUBHAGYA was announced by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 25th September 2017.
- The objective of the scheme was achieving Universal Household Electrification in the country, through last mile connectivity and providing access to electricity to all un-electrified households in rural areas and poor households in urban areas. While launching the scheme, the Prime Minister pledged to provide access to electricity and work towards equity, efficiency, and sustainability in the New Age India.
Summit for Information and Democracy
- Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Shri Anurag Thakur addressed the Summit for Information and Democracy on the sidelines of the UNGA organised at the Consulate General of France, New York, yesterday. Joining from Leh, Ladakh, the Minister participated in a round table discussion.
- The International Partnership for Information and Democracy was launched in New York on 26 September 2019, in the framework of the Alliance for Multilateralism. It has been signed to date by 43 States and aims to promote freedom of opinion and expression and access to free, pluralistic and reliable information.
- In order to implement the Partnership’s principles, a Forum on Information and Democracy was created on 10 November 2019 by Reporters Without Borders and 10 independent civil society organizations. On 12 November 2020, the Forum published its first report on the fight against infodemics, followed on 16 June 2021 by its second report on the economic sustainability of journalism (entitled A New Deal for Journalism).
Cyclonic Storm ‘Gulab’
- As the Cyclonic Storm ‘Gulab’ formed in the Bay of Bengal is expected to make landfall between North Andhra Pradesh and South Odisha coast in the next 12 hours, the Indian Navy is closely monitoring the movement of the Cyclonic Storm.
- Headquarters, Eastern Naval Command, and Naval Officers-in-Charge Odisha Area have carried out preparatory activities to combat the effects of Cyclone and is in constant liaison with the State Administrations for rendering assistance as required.
World Rivers Day Celebrated
- World Rivers Day is observed on the fourth Sunday of every September and celebrates the world’s waterways.
- The day is observed to highlights the many values of rivers and strives to increase public awareness and encourages the improved stewardship of rivers around the world.
- In his Mann Ki Baat: PM greets nation on World Rivers Day; extols virtues of river conservation.
Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar Remembered
- Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar (26 September 1820 – 29 July 1891), born Ishwar Chandra Bandyopadhyay, was an Indian educator and social reformer.
- His efforts to simplify and modernize Bengali prose were significant. He also rationalized and simplified the Bengali alphabet and type, which had remained unchanged since Charles Wilkins and Panchanan Karmakar had cut the first (wooden) Bengali type in 1780. He is considered the “father of Bengali prose”.
- Vidyasagar championed the upliftment of the status of women in India, particularly in his native Bengal. He is crucial in the passage of Widow Remarriages Act 1856.
World Pharmacist Day 2021
- World Pharmacist Day 2021 is being celebrated today. The day has been marked to celebrate and recognise the role of pharmacists in the field of health sector .
- International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) first observed the World Pharmacist Day in 1912.
- The theme declared for World Pharmacist Day 2021 is “Pharmacy: Always Trusted For Your Health”.
- The theme this year has been chosen to draw special attention to the trust in the health sector and the practice of pharmacy.
- ______railway station was renamed after “Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Junction” by the government in 2018.
- Hazrat Nizamuddin
- Lucknow Central
- Kanpur Central
- Ishwar Chandra got title “Vidyasagar” in
- Lincoln’s Inn
- Sanskrit College Calcutta
- Banaras Hindu University
- Widow Remarriages Act 1856 was passed by
- Lord Dalhousie
- Lord Canning
- Lord Curzon
- Lord Hardinge
- The Wood’s Despatch considered the Magna Carta of Indian education was adopted in
- When ______ met Vidyasagar, he praised Vidyasagar as the ocean of wisdom.
- Ramakrishna Paramahamsa
- Swami Vivekananda
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Shree Narayan Guru
- The first group of engineers in India was formed in 1748 in the _____ for Military Services.
- Avadh Army
- Nizam Army
- Madras Army
- Bombay Army
- The scheme has been launched for operational and financial turnaround of Discoms.
- APP to monitor transparency in implementation of the electrification schemes
- Vidyut Sathi
- The Ministry of Power started functioning independently from
- Current Union Minister of Power
- Raj Kumar Singh
- Dr. Jitendra Singh
- Piyush Goyal
- Dharmendra Pradhan
Leave a Reply