What is Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana?
- It is a scholarship program funded by the Department of Science and Technology of the GoI.
- The program was started in 1999
- The aim of the program is to identify and encourage talented students with aptitude for research.
- Also, to encourage students of Basic Sciences, Engineering and Medicine to take up research careers in these areas.
- Generous fellowship and contingency grant are provided to the selected KVPY Fellows up to the pre-Ph.D. level or 5 years whichever is earlier.
- Summer Camps are organized in prestigious research and educational institutions in the country.
- Fellowship is awarded based on an aptitude test and interview to final selected students.
Mental Health Rehabilitation Helpline: Kiran
- A 24×7 toll-free mental health rehabilitation helpline “KIRAN” was launched by Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot.
- It is provided in 13 languages.
- Aim: To provide relief and support to persons with Mental Illness and in view of the growing incidence of mental illness, particularly in the wake of Pandemic COVID-19.
- It offers mental health rehabilitation services with early screening, first-aid, psychological support, distress management, etc.
Indira Gandhi Peace Prize 2019
- Sir David Attenborough, awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for the year 2019.
- Sir David is an English broadcaster and natural historian.
- He is best known for writing and presenting, in conjunction with the BBC Natural History Unit
- Indira Gandhi Peace Prize:
- The Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development is an annual prestigious award.
- It is conferred every year by Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust since 1986.
- It consists of a citation and a monetary award of Rs. 25 lakh.
- It recognises excellent efforts by individuals or organisations which are working towards creating a new international economic order, towards promoting international peace
Report on Literacy Rate
- A report on ‘Household Social Consumption: Education’ was published by the National Statistical Office (NSO).
- It provides for state-wise detail of literacy rate among the persons aged seven years and above.
- Key Findings:
- The overall literacy rate in the country at about 77.7%.
- Urban Areas: 87.7%.
- Rural areas: 73.5%.
- Male Literacy Rate: 84.7%.
- Female Literacy Rate: 70.3%
- Best Performing states are Kerala, Delhi, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Assam.
- Kerala scored 96.2% thus has the highest literacy rate among states.
- Delhi stands at second position with 89% literacy rate.
- Worst Performing states are Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh.
- Andhra Pradesh ranked the worst with 66.4% literacy rate.
- Rajasthan is the 2nd worst performer with literacy rate at 69.7%.
- The male literacy rate is higher than female literacy rate among all states.
- Nearly 4% of rural households and 23% of urban household possessed computer.
- Among persons of age 15-29 years, nearly 56% in urban areas and 24% in rural areas were able to operate a computer.
- In the same age group, nearly 25% in rural areas and 58% in urban areas reported the use of the internet.
- “Hunar Haat” will restart from today after a gap of nearly six months.
- It is being organised by Union Minority Affairs Ministry at Prayagraj.
- Theme: “Local to Global”
- It will focus on indigenous exquisite Indian toys.
- More than 30 per cent stalls will be for artisans who prepare indigenous toys.
- It will be an enormous platform providing market and opportunities to master artisans who prepare these indigenous exquisite toys”
- Hunar Haat has provided employment and employment opportunities to more than 5 lakh Indian artisans, craftsmen, culinary experts and other people associated with them in the last 5 years
- Hunar Haat is an exhibition of handicrafts and traditional products made by artisans from the minority communities.
- These are organised by the Ministry of Minority Affairs under USTTAD (Upgrading the Skills & Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development) scheme.
Current COVID19 Situation in India
Mental Health Rehabilitation Helpline – Kiran launched by
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- Ministry of health
- Ministry of Telecommunication
- Ministry of Home Affairs
Answer – A
Which state has the highest literacy rate in India?
- Andhra Pradesh
Answer – B
Which state performed worst in terms of literacy as per Data released by NSO?
- Andhra Pradesh
Answer – A
Theme for this year’s Hunar Haat is:
- Vocal for Local
- Local for Local
- Local to Global
- Global to Local
Answer – C
Question of the Day
What are the key features of National Mental Health Program?
Answer in next session…