In today’s 11 August 2022 Defence Current affairs and updates, we are going to see the latest defense-related updates on national and international current affairs topics. These current affairs questions and major events will be really helpful for your upcoming NDA, CDS, AFCAT, TA, INET, MNS, ACC exams, and other SSB interviews and AFCAT interviews like SSC Tech, TGC, TES, NDA, CDS, AFCAT, and more. Download the current affairs PDF file at the end of this article.
Daily Defence Current Affairs 11 August 2022
DRDO-Developed ATAGS To Give 21 Gun Salute At Independence Day Celebrations
- For the first time in the history of India, the indigenously developed artillery gun ATAGS (Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System) prototype developed under the government’s Make in India initiative will be fired from the Red Fort during the Independence Day celebrations on August 15.
- The completely indigenous gun designed and developed by DRDO will give the ceremonial 21 Gun Salute along with the “25 Pounder British guns” which are traditionally fired till now. A team of DRDO’s Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune,
- This is the longest-range cannon in the world and is capable of hitting targets from 45 to 48 km. The biggest thing is that for the first time it is Made in India by Bharat Forge.
- The ATAGS project was started in 2013 by DRDO to replace older guns in service in the Indian Army with a modern 155mm artillery gun. ARDE partnered with two private firms Bharat Forge Limited and Tata Advanced Systems Limited for the manufacturing of this specialised gun.
India Bids Farewell To British 1-pounder Gun After 75 Years
- Seventy-five years after independence, the gun salute on August 15 will feature not the British 1-pounder gun, but an indigenous weapon, modified for the occasion: the ATAGS or Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System, developed by the DRDO and manufactured by Bharat Forge and Tata Power.
- The ATAGS 155mm howitzer, being customised for the occasion, will be part of the gun salute along with the old British 1 pounder, defence secretary Ajay Kumar said. The ATAGS gun is being readied for use by the Indian Army.
- The QF 1 pounder, universally known as the pom-pom due to the sound of its discharge, was a 37 mm British autocannon, the first of its type in the world. It was used by several countries initially as an infantry gun and later as a light anti-aircraft gun.
- This year, National Cadet Corps (NCC) students from every district of the country will be part of the function. They will be positioned during the function over a huge map of India, standing at the places they belong to, in traditional costumes. Usually, just NCC cadets from Delhi are involved.
Army Chief Felicitates Defence Personnel Who Won Medals In Commonwealth Games
- Indian Army sportspersons performed exceedingly well, clinching four Gold, one Silver and three Bronze medals in the recently-concluded Commonwealth Games 2022.
- The individual medal winners are Naib Subedar Jeremy Lalrinnunga (Gold) & Havildar Achinta Sheuli (Gold) in Weightlifting, Subedar Deepak Punia(Gold) & Recruit Havildar Deepak Nehra (Bronze) in Wrestling, Subedar Amit Panghal, VSM (Gold) & Subedar Mohammad Hussamuddin (Bronze) in Boxing and Naib Subedar Avinash Sable (Silver) & Subedar Sandeep Kumar (Bronze) in Athletics.
- It is indeed a commendable feat that out of 18 participants from the Indian Army in the Commonwealth Games squad, eight sportspersons have earned medals for India.
- Addressing the sportspersons, the Army Chief acknowledged their superlative performance and remarked that the Indian Army participants are the real role models for the Nation. The COAS said that their individual performances have made the Indian Army and the entire nation proud. He also wished them the very best for all the forthcoming events
India Invites UNSC Members For Special Meeting of Counter-Terrorism Committee In October
- India has invited all members of the UN Security Council for a high-level special meeting of the Counter-Terrorism Committee in New Delhi and Mumbai in October aimed at highlighting the increase in the use of new technologies by terrorists and exploring the course of action to effectively deal with this threat.
- India is currently Chair of the Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee for 2022 and will host diplomats of the 15-nation UN body, including the US, China and Russia, in October for a special meeting on counter-terrorism.
- Current members of the Security Council are Albania, Brazil, Gabon, Ghana, India, Ireland, Kenya, Mexico, Norway and UAE, along with five permanent members China, France, Russia, UK and the US.
- “The growing use of the Internet and social media platforms to spread terrorist and violent extremist propaganda has posed challenges to Governments and the tech industry alike. The continued increase in the use of new technologies to move and store funds, including virtual assets, online exchanges and wallets, privacy coins (EACs) and potential misuse of dual-use technologies pose the risk that terrorists will seek to abuse these systems for terrorism financing and other terror-linked purposes,” India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Ruchira Kamboj said.
Agniveer Recruitment For Women Candidates From November 1
- The Agniveer recruitment rally for women candidates under the general duty category for military police would be held from November 1 to 3 in Bengaluru. Recruitment is scheduled to be held at Manekshaw Parade ground here by the Recruiting Office (HQ) Bengaluru under the aegis of Hq Recruiting Zone Bengaluru for volunteer female candidates from Karnataka, Kerala and the UT of Lakshadweep & Mahe.
- The rally is being held for enrolment of Agniveer General Duty (Women) in the Corps of Military Police in the Army. It further said that the online registration is open from August 10 to September 7.
- Online registration of candidates on the website — Joinindianarmy.nic.in — is mandatory and admit cards of successfully registered candidates will be sent to their registered email between October 12 and 31, 2022.
Women in Indian Armed Forces
- In February 2021, details provided by the government in Rajya Sabha indicated that the Indian Navy has the highest number of women in its workforce among the three services at 6.5 percent. And the percentage of women in the Army and the Indian Air Force is 0.56 and 1.08 respectively.
- According to the details furnished by the then Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik, in a written response, there are 6,807 women who are in the Army and the number of men serving is 12, 18,036.
Def R&D To Be Opened To Private Sector For High-tech Platforms
- In the next meeting of DAC, the Narendra Modi government is slated to approve amendments in the Defence Acquisition Procedure to allow Indian private sector into defence R&D through special purpose vehicles and in collaboration with the defence public sector undertakings.
- This is in line with the defence budget, where it was announced that 25 per cent of defence R & D budget would be spent on these platform specific SPVs with the private sector.
- Given the global turmoil sparked off by the Ukraine war and the Chinese belligerence in the Indo-Pacific, India has no options but to make defence R & D competitive as the public sector alone cannot cater to growing Indian defence platform requirements in the stipulated time.
Want To Join the Indian Armed Forces and Prepare For The NDA CDS AFCAT Exam?
- Take the best NDA Exam Online Course by SSBCrackExams.
- Take the best CDS Exam Online Coaching by SSBCrackExams.
- Take the best AFCAT Exam Online Course by SSBCrackExams.
- SSB Interview Online Course [Must Enroll]
- Download the SSBCrack Exams app for all defence exams preparation.
- The Motto Of AMC, “सर्वे सन्तु निरामया:” Which Is Derived From The
- Brihadaranyaka Upanishad
- Mundak Upanishad
- Taittiriya Upanishad
- Katha Upanishad
- Which of the following is DRDO Technology Demonstration Vessel?
- INS Delhi
- INS Virat
- INS Vagir
- INS Anvesh
- Ex ‘SPITTING COBRA’ Conducted b/w India &
- Hq Of Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) Is In
- First Largest Defence Equipment Manufacturer In India Is
- V. O. Chidambaranar Port Trust Is Located In
- Where Is The Hq Of The Central Command of The Indian Army?
- “Prashata Ranvirta” Is A Motto Of
- Jammu And Kashmir Rifles
- Gorkha Regiment
- Punjab Regiment
- Bongosagar Ex Conducted B/W Bangladesh And
- Sri Lanka
- Heron TP Is a
- Air to Air missile
- Sniper Rifle
- Anti-tank Guided missile
- “Balidanam Vir Lakshanam“ Is The Motto Of
- Corps of Signals
- Vice Admiral Rank of Indian Navy Is Equivalent To Which Rank of Indian Army?
- Air Marshal
- Flight Lt.
- Lt. General
- Range of Astra Missile Mk 2 Is
- 110 km
- 160 km
- 170 km
- 250 km
- Ex Samudra Shakti Is Held B/W India &
- Sri Lanka
- Tirana Is The Capital Of
- ‘Paradise Lost’ Book Is Written By
- John Miton
- Jane Austen
- Issac Newton
- Daniel Defoe
- South-Western Air Command Hq Is In
- New Delhi
- Operation Poomalai Was Conducted By IAF In
- Hq United Nations Institute for Training and Research Is In
- Geneva, Switzerland
- Berlin, Germany
- Turin, Italy
- Tokyo, Japan
- The G20 Was Founded In
- Latest Daily Current Affairs and Defence Updates
- July 2022 Monthly Defence Current Affairs And Updates [DOWNLOAD PDF]
- June 2022 Monthly Defence Current Affairs And Updates [DOWNLOAD PDF]
- May 2022 Monthly Defence Current Affairs And Updates [DOWNLOAD PDF]
- April 2022 Monthly Defence Current Affairs And Updates [DOWNLOAD PDF]
- March 2022 Monthly Defence Current Affairs And Updates [DOWNLOAD PDF]
- February 2022 Monthly Defence Current Affairs And Updates [DOWNLOAD PDF]
- January 2022 Monthly Defence Current Affairs And Updates [DOWNLOAD PDF]