In today’s Monthly Current affairs Of May 2022, we are going to see the latest national and international current affairs topics. These current affairs questions and major events will be really helpful for your upcoming NDA, CDS, AFCAT, TA, INET, MNS, ACC exams, and other SSB interviews like SSC Tech, TGC, TES, NDA, CDS, AFCAT, and more. Download the current affairs PDF file at the end of this article.
MONTHLY CURRENT AFFAIRS MAY 2022
Semicon India Conference 2022
- 3-Day Event In Bengaluru. It Is Envisioned As The Launchpad To Kick Start Country’s Ambition In Becoming The Global Semiconductor Hub And Nurture The Chip Design And Manufacturing Ecosystem. The First Step Towards Actualizing The India Semiconductor Mission.
- The Event Will Help In Showcasing The Present Capabilities, Technology Trends, Market Opportunities, And Investment In Research And Development In The Country. It Will Also Showcase Innovations By Start-ups And Key Projects Undertaken By The Academic Institutions.
PM Modi Embarks On 3 Nation Visit
- Germany, Denmark, And France From 2nd To 4th May. Berlin In Germany On 2nd May, PM Modi Will Meet German Chancellor Olaf Scholz. He Will Co-chair The 6th Edition Of The India-Germany Inter-governmental Consultations.
- 3rd May, Copenhagen With PM Of Denmark, Mette Frederiksen. This Will Be Mr. Modi’s 1st Visit To Denmark But His 3rd Summit-level Interaction With The Danish PM And The Discussions Will Focus On Bilateral Issues As Well As Issues Of Global And Regional Interest.
- On 4th May – 2nd India Nordic Summit Along With PM Of Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Sweden And Norway. The Summit Will Focus On Subjects Like Post-pandemic Economic Recovery, Climate Change, Innovation And Technology, Renewable Energy, The 1st Summit Took Place In 2018 In Stockholm.
- On The Last Leg Of The Tour, Prime Minister Will Briefly Stopover In Paris And Meet France President Emmanuel Macron. An Opportunity To Carry Forward The High-Level Engagement Between The Two Countries Post The French Presidential Elections.
World Press Freedom Index 2022
- India’s Ranking In The World Press Freedom Index Has Fallen Down To 150th Position From Last Year’s 142nd Rank Out Of 180 Countries – Reporters Without Borders. Pakistan – 157 Position, Sri Lanka – 146, Bangladesh – 162 And Myanmar – 176.
- Nepal Has Climbed Up By 30 Points In The Global Ranking At 76th Position. This Year, Norway (1st) Denmark (2nd), Sweden (3rd) Estonia (4th), And Finland (5th) Grabbed The Top Positions, While North Korea Remained At The Bottom Of The List Of The 180 Countries And Territories Ranked.
Kerala Wins Their 7th Santosh Trophy title
- Kerala Beat West Bengal 5-4 In The Penalty Shootout To Win The 75th Santosh Trophy 2022. This Is Kerala’s 3rd Win On Home Soil. Earlier, They Had Won Two Editions In Kochi, In 1973-74 And 1992-93.
India To Be Country Of Honour At Marche’ Du Film
- India Will Be The Official Country Of Honour At The Upcoming Marche’ Du Film, Organised Alongside The Cannes Film Festival In France. The Festival Will Be Organised From The 17th Of This Month. This Is For The First Time That Such An Honour Is Being Bestowed To Any Country.
State Of The World’s Forests 2022
- It Was Released By The UN FAO. Published Bi-annually It Explores the Potential Of 3 Forest Pathways For Achieving Green Recovery And Tackling Multidimensional Planetary Crises, i.e., Climate Change And Biodiversity Loss.
- Halting Deforestation And Maintaining Forests. Restoring Degraded Lands And Expanding Agroforestry. Sustainably Using Forests And Building Green Value Chains. In January, MoEFCC Released The India State Of Forest Report-2021.
- At The Glasgow Leaders’ Declaration On Forests And Land Use, 140 Countries Pledged To Eliminate Forest Loss By 2030 And To Support Restoration And Sustainable Production And Consumption.
ISRO’s Venus Mission 2024
- S Somnath Announced By December 2024. To Study Venus’ Atmosphere, Which Is Toxic And Corrosive In Nature As Clouds Of Sulfuric Acid Cover The Planet. Earlier, The National Aeronautics And Space Administration (NASA) Announced Two New Robotic Missions (Davinci Plus And Veritas) To Venus.
World Food Prize 2022
- World Food Prize Foundation Announced Dr. Cynthia Rosenzweig Of USA. She Was Selected For The Award For Her Research On Understand The Relationship Between Climate And Food Systems And Forecast How Both Will Change In The Future. The Prize Is Given On UN World Food Day (16th October).
NFHS-5 National Report
- The National Family Health Survey (NFHS) Is A Large-scale, Multi-round Survey Conducted In A Representative Sample Of Households Throughout India.
- It Comprises Detailed Information On Key Domains Of Population, Health, And Family Welfare And Associated Domains.
- Fertility Rates: TFR, Has Further Declined From 2.2 To 2.0 At The National Level Between NNFHS 4 And 5.
- Under Marriages: According To NFHS-5, 23.3% of Women Surveyed Got Married Before Attaining The Legal Age Of 18 Years, Down From 26.8% Reported In NFHS-4.
- Domestic Violence Against Women: Come Down Marginally From 31.2% In 2015-16 To 29.3% In 2019-21.
- Institutional Births: It Increased From 79% To 89% In India. Immunization Level: More Than Three-fourths (77%) of Children aged 12-23 Months Were Fully Immunized, Compared With 62% In NFHS-4.
- Stunting: Children Under Five Years Has Marginally Declined From 38% To 36% In The Country Since The Last 4 Years.
- Obesity: Compared With NFHS-4, The Prevalence Of Overweight Or Obesity Has Increased In Most States/UT’s.
Jan Suraksha Schemes Complete 7 Years
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMJJBY), Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMSBY), And Atal Pension Yojana (APY) Were Launched By PM Modi On 9th May 2015 In Kolkata.
- These Schemes Have Been Successful In Providing Affordable Insurance And Security To People.
UNCCD 15th Session Of The Conference Of The Parties
- COP-15 UNCCD At Abidjan In Cote D’ivoire. India Had Hosted The COP-14 UNCCD From 2nd To 13th September 2019 In New Delhi. India Would Raise Its Ambition Of The Total Area That Would Be Restored From Its Land Degradation Status, From 21 M H To 26 M H Between Now And 2030.
- The UNCCD Was In 1994 And Has 197 Parties. It Is The Only Internationally Legally Binding Framework Set Up To Address The Problem Of Desertification. To Help Publicize The Convention, 2006 Was Declared “International Year Of Deserts And Desertification“.
Danish Siddiqui Honoured With Pulitzer Prize 2022
- Slain Photojournalist Danish Siddiqui Is Among 4 Indians Honoured With The Prestigious Pulitzer Prize 2022 In The Feature Photography Category. Siddiqui And His Colleagues Adnan Abidi, Sanna Irshad Mattoo, And Amit Dave From A News Agency Won The Award.
- Marcus Yam Of The Los Angeles Times Bagged The Award In The Breaking News Photography category. Meanwhile, The Washington Post Bagged The Pulitzer Prize In Public Service Journalism For Its Coverage Of The January 6 Insurrection At The US Capitol.
RailTel Launches PM-WANI
- RailTel, A Mini Ratna PSU, Has Launched Prime Minister Wi-fi Access Network Interface (PM-WANI) Scheme Based On Access To Its Public Wi-Fi Services Across 100 Railway Stations Across The Country. To Access Android Users Can Download The Mobile App ‘Wi-dot’ Available On Google Play Store. This App Has Been Developed In Close Coordination With C-DOT.
Santoor Maestro Shiv Kumar Sharma Dies At 84
- Pandit Shivkumar Sharma (13 January 1938 – 10 May 2022) Is Credited With Adapting The Santoor For Indian Classical Music. Sharma Was Awarded The Sangeet Natak Akademi Award In 1986, The Padma Shri In 1991, And The Padma Bhushan In 2001.
SC Stays 152-Year-Old Sedition Law
- Section 124A Of IPC Should Be Effectively Kept In Abeyance Till The Union Government Reconsiders The Provision. In An Interim Order, The Court Urged The Centre And The State Governments To Refrain From Registering Any FIRS Under The Said Provision While It Was Under Re-consideration.
Rajiv Kumar To Be New Chief ECI
- EC Rajiv Kumar Will Be The New Chief ECI. Mr. Kumar, The Senior-most EC, Will Assume The Charge Of the Office Of CEC With Effect From the 15th of May. He Will Replace Incumbent CEC Sushil Chandra Who Will Be Demitting The Office On the 14th of May.
Cricketer Andrew Symonds Dies In Road Accident
- Australian International Cricketer, Who Played All 3 Formats As A Batting All-rounder. He Was An Important Member Of 2 World Cup Winning Squads. Symonds Died In A Single-vehicle Car Crash In Townsville, Queensland, On 14 May 2022 At The Age Of 46.
India Beat Indonesia 3-0 To Lift Thomas Cup Trophy
- Indian Men Team Beats 14 Time Champions Indonesia By 3-0 To Lift Thomas Cup Trophy In Bangkok. Lakshya Sen, Kidambi Srikanth, Chirag Shetty, And Satwiksairaj Rankireddy Produced Memorable Performances.
- The Thomas Cup/ World Men’s Team Championships, BWF. The Championships Have Been Conducted Every 2 Years Since 1982, Earlier Conducted Every 3 Years Since The First Tournament Held In 1948 – 1949.
Global Food Policy Report: IFPRI
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) Has Released Global Food Policy Report: Climate Change & Food Systems, Showing India’s Risk For Hunger Could Increase By 23% By 2030 Due To Climate Change.
- Global: Baseline Projections Indicate That Global Food Production Will Grow By About 60% Over 2010 Levels By 2050 In The Context Of Climate Change. Production And Demand Are Projected To Grow More Rapidly In Developing Countries, Particularly In Africa, Than In Developed Countries.
- India’s Food Production Could Drop By 16% And The Number Of Those At Risk For Hunger Could Increase By 23% By 2030 Due To Climate Change. Indians At Risk From Hunger In 2030 To Be 73.9 Million In 2030 And, If The Effects Of Climate Change Were To Be Factored In, It Would Increase To 90.6 Million.
- Investment In Research And Development
- Management Of Land And Water Resources
- Healthy Diets And Sustainable Food Production
- Financing Sustainable Production
- Efficient Value Chain & Social Protection
NITI Ayog’s: National Data And Analytics Platform
- The Platform Aims To Democratize Access To Public Government Data By Making Data – Accessible, Interoperable, Interactive, And Available On A User-friendly Platform.
- The Rise Of Data And Digital Technologies Are Rapidly Transforming Economies And Societies.
- With Enormous Implications For Governments’ Daily Operations.
- This Platform Is A Critical Milestone Which Aims To Aid the Country’s Progress By Promoting Data-driven Disclosure, Decision Making And Ensuring the Availability Of Data Connecting Till The Last Mile.
ISRO Successfully Tests HS-200 Solid Rocket Booster
- ISRO Successfully Conducted The Static Test Of A Human-rated Solid Rocket Booster HS-200, A Key Component For The Gaganyaan Manned Mission Programme. HS-200 Booster Loaded With 203 Tonnes Of Solid Propellant Was Tested For A Duration Of 135 Seconds.
- HS-200 Rocket Booster Is The Human-rated Version Of The Well Proven S-200 Rocket Booster Of GSLV Mark-II, Popularly Known As LVM3. It Was Developed At Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, and Thiruvananthapuram And Propellant Casting Were Completed At SHAR, Sriharikota.
Ramgarh Vishdhari Wildlife Sanctuary
- MoEFCC Change Said That Ramgarh Vishdhari Tiger Reserve In Rajasthan Has Been Notified The 52nd Reserve Of India, Which Will Conserve Biodiversity And Bring Ecotourism And Development To The Area.
- The Newly Notified Tiger Reserve Includes The Tiger Habitat Between Ranthambore Tiger Reserve In The Northeast And Mukundra Hills Tiger Reserve On The Southern Side And Facilitates The Dispersal Of Tigers.
Formation Of Cotton Council Of India
- It is Under The Chairmanship Of Renowned Suresh Bhai Kotak. It Will Have Representation From Textiles, Agriculture, Commerce, And Finance Ministries Along With Cotton Corporation Of India And Cotton Research Institute.
- The First Meeting Of The Proposed Council Has Been Scheduled For The 28th Of This Month. The Council Will Discuss, Deliberate, And Prepare A Robust Action Plan For Bringing Out A Tangible Improvement In This Field.
Sweden And Finland To Jointly Apply For NATO
- Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson And Finnish President Sauli Niinisto Announced Their Decision To Submit Their NATO Bids Together.
- USA For Talks On The Two Nations’ NATO Applications And European Security. Germany Will Increase Military Cooperation With Sweden And Finland.
Nikhat Wins Gold At Women’s World Boxing C’ships
- 52kg Category Over Thailand’s Jitpong In The Fly-weight Final In Istanbul, Turkey. Becomes Only The 5th Indian Women’s Boxer After Mary Kom, Sarita Devi, Jenny, And Lekha To Win A Gold At The World Championships. The 25-year-old Zareen Is A Former Junior Youth World Champion.
State Of Inequality In India Report
- Economic Advisory Council To The Prime Minister (EAC-PM). Make The Population More Vulnerable And Trigger A Descent Into Multidimensional Poverty. 5 Key Areas: These Are Income Distribution, Labour Market Dynamics, Health, Education, And Household Characteristics.
- Urban Areas Have A 44.4% Wealth Concentration In The Highest Quintile (20%) Compared To A Meager 7.1% In Rural Areas. India’s Unemployment Rate Is 4.8% (2019-20), And The Worker Population Ratio Is 46.8%.
- From 1,72,608 Total Health Centres In India In 2005, Total Health Centres In 2020 Stand At 1,85,505. The Gross Enrolment Ratio Has Also Increased Between 2018-19 And 2019-20 At The Primary, Upper Primary, Secondary, And Higher Secondary.
- Creating Income Slabs That Provide Class Information
- Establishing Universal Basic Income
- Creating Jobs, Especially Among The Higher Levels Of Education
- Increases The Budget For Social Protection Schemes.
- Need To Formulate Reform Strategies For Social Progress, And Shared Prosperity.
XV World Forestry Congress
- The Seoul Forest Declaration Was Adopted and Signed By 141 Participant Countries. It Is Held Every 6 Years. This Year’s Event, Hosted By The Republic Of Korea And Co-organized With FAO, Was The Second Congress Held In Asia.
- Indonesia Hosted The First Congress In Asia In 1978. It Provides A Forum For Inclusive Discussion On The Key Challenges And Way Forward For The Forestry Sector. Theme 2022: Building A Green, Healthy, And Resilient.
- Urges for Shared Responsibility
- Investment in Forest
- Circular Bioeconomy and Climate Neutrality
- Need for Innovative Technologies and Mechanisms
WHO Honors India’s ASHA Workers
- The WHO Director-general Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus Has Announced Six Global Health Leaders Awards. Dr. Tedros Himself Decides On The Awardees For The World Health Organization Director-general’s Global Health Leaders Awards.
- India’s One Million All-women ASHA Workers (Accredited Social Health Activist) Were Awarded And Honoured By WHO For Their ‘Outstanding’ Contribution To Advancing Global Health, Demonstrated Leadership, And Commitment To Regional Health Issues.
- They Were Honoured For Their Crucial Role In Linking The Community With The Health System And Ensuring Those Living In Rural Poverty Can Access Primary Health Care Services, Throughout The Covid-19 Pandemic.
Indo-Pacific Economic Framework For Prosperity
- POTUS Joe Biden Launched The IPEF. It Includes India, Australia, Japan, Brunei, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, The Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, And Vietnam. Together, These Represent 40% Of The World GDP.
- IPEF Is Aimed At Strengthening Ties In This Critical Indo-pacific Region To Define The Coming Decades For Technological Innovation And The Global Economy.
- The Framework Will Create A Stronger, Fairer, And More Resilient Economy For Families, Workers, And Businesses In The United States And In The Indo-pacific Region.
- They Are Writing The New Rules For The 21-century Economy That Will Help Their Economies Grow Faster And Fairer. Mr. Modi Said The IPEF Is A Declaration Of Our Collective Will’ To Push Global Economic Growth.
- He Declared That The Foundation Of Resilient Supply Chains, A Major Focus Area That Will Apparently Provide An Alternative To China’s Approach To Critical Economic Issues, Must Be 3ts – Trust, Transparency, And Timeliness.
WEF’s Alliance To Supercharge India’s Climate Action
- Part Of The WEF’s Climate Action Platform, The Alliance Will Continue Efforts To Achieve The Vision Outlined In The White Paper Released Last Year, ‘Mission 2070: A Green New Deal For A Net Zero India’, On India’s Low-carbon Transition By 2070.
- It Will Bring Together The Government, Businesses, And Other Key Stakeholders To Achieve PM Modi’s Ambitious ‘Panchamrit’ Pledge, Which Includes The Country’s Net-zero Target By 2070.
- The Management Consultancy Kearney And The Indian Think-tank Observer Research Foundation, The Alliance Will Serve As A High-level Platform To Support Business Leaders In Planning And Implementing Plans And Programs To Achieve Climate Targets, Including Net-zero Economic Growth.
Supreme Court Recognises Sex Work As A Profession
- Its Practitioners Are Entitled To Dignity And Equal Protection Under The Law. The Court Invoked Its Special Powers Under Article 142 Of The Constitution. In 2020, The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Recognized Sex Workers As Informal Workers.
Geetanjali Shree Win International Booker Prize
- Hindi Author Geetanjali Shree’s Novel Ret Samadhi, Tomb Of Sand Has Won The International Booker Prize, Becoming The First Novel Translated From Hindi To Do So. It Is For The First Time A Book Originally Written In Any Indian Language Has Won The Booker Prize.
- It Is The Story About An 80-year-old Woman, Who Slips Into A Deep Depression When Her Husband Dies, Then Resurfaces To Gain A New Lease On Life. The Woman Travels To Pakistan To Confront The Unresolved Trauma Of Her Teenage Experiences Of Partition And Re-evaluates Herself.
- World Employment and Social Outlook Report
- World Food Price Index
- World Bank
- Food and Agricultural Organisation
- International Monetary Fund
- India Has Been Elected ___Times To The UNSC
- Latest Country To Join NATO
- North Macedonia
- World AIDS Vaccine Day
- May 16
- May 17
- May 18
- May 19
- Project Tiger Was Launched In
- World Telecommunication & Information Society Day
- May 14
- May 15
- May 16
- May 17
- Sedition: _____ Of IPC
- Section 123-A
- Section 124-A
- Section 125-A
- Section 126-A
- _____ To Become First ‘Village Of Honey’ In India
- Governor-general Of India During The 1857 Revolt
- Lord Hardinge
- Lord Canning
- Lord Lytton
- Lord Dalhousie
- Code Name Of The 2nd Nuclear Test Of India
- Chagai 1-1
- Smiling Buddha
- Project 596
- Operation Shakti
- COP-14 UNCCD Was Hosted By
- COP-15 UNCCD Will Be Hosted By
- Ivory Coast
- Pulitzer Prize Was Established In
- Couple Burial Was Found In Which Harappan Sites
- Biggest Site Of Indus Valley Civilization
- New Robotic Missions Davinci Plus And Veritas Will Explore
- G20 Nations Together Represent
- 80% Of World GDP
- 75% Of International Trade
- 60% Of World Population
- All The Above
- Meaning Of FAO Latin Motto, “Fiat Panis”
- Let There Be Bread
- Let There Be Agriculture
- Let There Be Peace
- Let There Be Crops
- Delimitation Commission Is Appointed By
- Election Commission Of India
- President Of India
- Ministry Of Statistics
- Ministry Of Home Affairs
- Cannes Film Festival Was 1st Held In
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) Was Founded In
- World Press Freedom Index 2022 Released By
- Oxford School Of Journalism
- Global Consortium Of Journalists
- Reporters Without Borders
- International Press Association
- India’s Rank At World Press Freedom Index 2022
- ___ Won Gold @ IWF Junior World Championships 2022
- Harshada Sharad
- Mirabai Chanu
- Achinta Sheuli
- Deepa Malik
- Highest Times Santosh Trophy Won By
- West Bengal
- Andhra Pradesh
- Windhoek Declaration, By African Newspaper Journalists
- Director Of Movie – Pather Panchali (1955)
- Yash Raj
- Prithvi Raj Kapoor
- Satyajit Ray
- Dadasaheb Phalke
- Semicon India Conference 2022
- India’s First Ethanol Plant Inaugurated In
- Uttar Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- Latest Daily Current Affairs and Defence Updates
- Monthly Current Affairs May 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs April 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs March 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs February 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs January 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
Leave a Reply