What is United Nations Security Council (UNSC)?
The United Nations (UN):
- The name “United Nations” was coined, F D Roosevelt. “Declaration by United Nations” was signed in 1942 by 26 nations, pledging their Govts to continue fighting together against the Axis Powers. UN Conference on International Organization (1945) was held in San Francisco (USA), attended by representatives of 50 countries, and signed the UN Charter. It is the foundational treaty of the UN, as an inter-governmental organization.
- Consist Of 193 Member States. Guided by The UN Charter its activities include maintaining international peace & security, protecting human rights, delivering humanitarian aid, promoting sustainable development, and upholding international law.
Principle Organs Of The UN:
- The United Nations (UN) has six main organs. Five of them – the General Assembly, the Security Council, the Economic and Social Council, the Trusteeship Council, and the Secretariat – are based at UN Headquarters in New York. The sixth, the International Court of Justice, is located at The Hague in the Netherlands.
United Nation Security Council (UNSC):
- It Was Established By The UN Charter In 1945. It Is One Of The 6 Principal Organs Of The UN. Its Primary Responsibility Is To Work To Maintain International Peace And Security. The Council Is Headquartered In New York.
Members Of UNSC:
- Total 15 countries (5 Permanent & 10 Non-Permanent)
- Permanent members: China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, United States
- Current Non-Permanent Members: Each Year UNGA, elects 5 non-permanent members for UNSC for a term of 2 years. These Non-Permanent Seats are distributed regional wise.
- Albania (2023)
- Brazil (2023)
- Gabon (2023)
- Ghana (2023)
- India (2022)
- Ireland (2022)
- Kenya (2022)
- Mexico (2022)
- Norway (2022)
- United Arab Emirates (2023)
- Each member of the Council has 1 vote. Decisions of the Council on matters are made by an affirmative vote of 9 members including the concurring votes of the permanent members. A “No” vote from one of the five permanent members blocks the passage of the resolution.
- Any member of the United Nations who is not a member of the Security Council may participate, without a vote, in the discussion of any question brought before the Security Council whenever the latter considers that the interests of that Member are especially affected.
Issues with UNSC:
- Absence of Records and Texts of Meetings
- Powerplay in UNSC
- Divisions Among the P5
- An Underrepresentation Organisation
- Imbalances In Power Needs To Be Addressed
- Structural Reform The Security Council
- Discussion & Debate Properly
- Accept A Dynamic Role
- Only UN Body Which Issues A Binding Resolution
- UN Secretariat
- World Health Organization
- UNSC Held Its First-Ever Session In
- 26 December 1948
- 17 January 1946
- 24 February 1949
- 30 July 1944
- United Nations Six Principal Organs Includes
- World Food Programme
- Economic and Social Council
- World Bank Group
- United Nations System Agencies Include
- International Court of Justice
- General Assembly
- Security Council
- World Bank Group
- Total Number Of UNSC Members
- Not A P5 Country
- Veto Power Rests With
- UN Secretary-General
- P5 Nations
- UN Charter Was Signed In
- The Name “United Nations”, Was Coined By
- F D Roosevelt
- Winston Churchill
- Joseph Stalin
- Vladimir Lenin
- India Has Been Elected ___Times To The UNSC
You can prepare for defence entrance exams such as NDA, AFCAT, INET, and CDS by taking Written Online courses as they will not only give you access to full-length quality lectures but will also provide the facility to take standardized mock tests for better study and strategic growth in the exam. You can take multiple quizzes after each lesson to ensure the full understanding of the subject along with creating your customized lesson plans. You can check out the course content along with other important specifics at SSBCrackExams.
To crack the SSB Interview, You can join our SSB interview live classes batch and we recommend you to Enroll SSB INTERVIEW ONLINE COURSE. Trusted by thousands of defence aspirants.
- Everything You Need To Know About SAARC: South Asian Association For Regional Cooperation
- What Is A Vacuum Bomb [Explained]
- Top 10 Evacuation Operations By India [Complete List]
- Why Indian Army’s Regiment Of Artillery Is Called The Gods Of War
- List Of Indian Navy Military Exercises 2022
- List Of Indian Army Military Exercises 2022
- What Is Operation Ganga?
- All About Russia Ukraine War: SSB Interview Topic [Fully Explained]