DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 23rd July 2021
Govt Promotes CNG & PNG
- Government has taken several steps to promote and encourage the use of compressed natural gas (CNG) and (Piped Natural Gas) PNG. The development of City Gas Distribution (CGD) networks supports the availability and accessibility of natural gas in the form of PNG for residential areas and industrial uses and CNG for transportation usage.
- CNG is a substitute for petrol, diesel, and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). In comparison to petrol, diesel, and LPG, it is safer to use, cleaner to burn, and produces fewer toxic by-products.
- Natural Gas distributed through a pipeline network that has safety mechanism to maintain the pressure, assuring safe and uninterrupted supply to the domestic sector is known as PNG (Piped Natural gas).
- The Petroleum & Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) is the authority to grant permission to the entities for developing of CGD network in Geographical Areas (GAs) as per PNGRB Act, 2006. PNGRB identifies GAs for authorizing the expansion of the CGD network in tandem with the development of natural gas pipeline connectivity and availability in the country.
GeneStore Awarded as Best Investment in France
- GeneStore, a biotechnology company focused on infectious disease eradication, was recently awarded the ‘Best Investment in France’ laurel by the Business France Department of the French Embassy in India at the Indo-France Awards held in New Delhi.
J&K Amends Domicile Rules
- J&K administration enabled spouses of native women married outside the Union Territory to apply for permanent residency in the Territory.
- Prior to the scrapping of Section 370, the spouses of women belonging to Jammu and Kashmir, when marrying a person from the rest of the country, were not eligible for the domicile certificate. Further, the native women married to non-Kashmiris could only get their children to apply for domicile certificates.
- The word “spouse”, according to the J&K Grant of Domicile Certificate (Procedure) Rules 2020 was only applicable to non-Kashmiri wives of native men.
- According to the notification, the spouse of a native woman, under 3A (2)(3) of the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Services Decentralization and Recruitment Act, will be eligible to seek a domicile certificate of the UT after the marriage.
- To do so, the person will have to make an application with necessary certificates, including the domicile certificate of the spouse, and a valid proof of marriage to the Deputy Commissioner.
Liverpool Stripped of World Heritage status
- Liverpool has been stripped of its World Heritage status after a UN committee found developments threatened the value of the city’s waterfront.
- The decision was made following a secret ballot by the UNESCO Committee at a meeting in China.
- UNESCO had previously warned that the developments, including the new Everton FC stadium, had resulted in a “serious deterioration” of the historic site.
Station Redevelopment Program
- Indian Railways has made a giant leap in the Station Redevelopment program.
- With the inauguration of Gandhinagar Capital Railway station by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 16 July, India will now have a first of its kind project which is set to offer modern services to the Nation.
- Redevelopment of the Gandhinagar Capital railway station will uplift the economy of Gandhinagar city, by acting as a city booster to create an investment cycle and job opportunities for people.
- This unique project has been taken up in partnership with the Govt of Gujarat and Ministry of Railways through Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation, IRSDC, forming a joint venture company named Gandhinagar Railway and Urban Development Corporation or in short, GARUD.
- It will also propel similar development in land stressed cities like Mumbai and Bangalore. The total investment for the redevelopment of 123 stations along with real estate development is more than Rs 50,000 crore.
Cabinet approves PLI scheme for specialty steel worth Rs 6,322 crore
- The Union Cabinet on Thursday approved Rs 6,322-crore Production-linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for specialty steel, an initiative aimed at boosting domestic manufacturing and exports and cutting down the import burden for the sector. Incentives worth Rs 6,322 crore will be provided over five years and it would create over 525,000 jobs.
- The scheme will cover coated/plated steel products, steel wires, and electrical steel etc. Any company registered in India, engaged in manufacturing of the identified ‘specialty steel’ grades eligible to participate,”
- Who built the Red Fort of Agra?
- Hire Benakal, which is in UNESCO World Heritage Site tentative list since 2021 is famous for which of the following?
- Ancient Temples
- Ancient farms
- Mud houses
- Which of the following sites in Karnataka is listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites?
- Group of Monuments at Pattadakal
- Galaganatha Temple
- Hoysaleswara Temple
- Satpura Tiger Reserve, which has been added to the tentative list of UNESCO’s world heritage sites, is in which Indian state?
- Madhya Pradesh
- West Bengal
- Which country’s UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage is “Pahlevani and zoorkhaneh rituals”?
- Which country houses the UNESCO World Heritage Site “Chogha Zanbil”?
- Which country’s UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage is “Wayang Puppet Theatre”?
- Which country’s UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage is the musical instrument “Angklung”?
- Which country houses the UNESCO World Heritage Site “Vatnajokull National Park”?
- Which country houses the UNESCO World Heritage Site “Andrassy Avenue”?