During 5 day process of Service Selection Board SSB interview on day 3 and 4, nine GTO Tasks in SSB are conducted as test to check the candidate’s performance as an individual and as a team player. These nine tasks are
- Group Discussion (GD)
- GPE or MPE group/military planning exercise:-
- Progressive group task (PGT)
- Snake race
- Half group task(HGT)
- Individual obstacles
- Command task
- Final Group Task (FGT)
GTO Tasks in SSB: Group Discussion (GD)
Group tasks are conducted under the supervision of Group Testing Officer (GTO), the first task among these tasks is Group Discussion (GD), in this the group is provided with ssb gd topics and they candidates have to undergo in an informal friendly discussion based on the ssb gd topics.
Unlike the group discussion on first day under screening test here candidates don’t need to come on a common conclusion, based on the candidate’s personal thoughts about given ssb gd topics he/she is free to present disagreement till the end of discussion. Here candidates in the group are free to present their views either formally or informally. The most important thing that is noticed by GTO that every candidates are taking part in discussion actively and commenting something that is related with given ssb gd topics.
GTO Tasks in SSB: Progressive Group Task PGT
PGT is about set of obstacles in ground in a specified area in that team members should cross each obstacle defined by set of rules. To cross those obstacles, some helping materials are given by the G.T.O. i.e. Balli (wooden log), Plank, and rope to tie these. The difficulty of the task increases from one obstacle to another in a progressive manner. So it is named as Progressive Group Task.
GTO Tasks in SSB: Snake Race
Snake Race or mostly known as Group Obstacle Race (GOR) is one of the very exciting and thrilling part in group test, its interesting because it looks like fighting a war with others . All the groups have to compete in a race through a series of six obstacle while carrying a rolled up tent which looks sort of a snake. Maximum of four groups take part in it at a time. The four teams are assigned one channel each. This is a high tempo task and the candidates will be thoroughly excited before this task.
GTO Tasks in SSB: Lecturette
Lecturette is one of the tests conducted during SSB interview to judge the personality of the candidates. We can say Lecturette is a small speech or a small talk given by candidate, Lecturette is conducted by GTO during group task. Here, to a candidate under SSB Lecturette topics one card is provided which contains 4 of the SSB Lecturette topics and out of 4 topics candidate has to talk on one topic for 3 minutes.
During Lecturette a candidate has the opportunity to impress GTO by presenting his/her good personality, GTO expectation from candidate – good expressions, better body language, fluency and confidence during the Lecturette. In this test being knowledgeable always has an upper-hand on the performance and to do so candidates must make himself/herself information savvy on current affair or events.
GTO Tasks in SSB: Half group task (HGT)
HGT is similar to PGT, but the difference is that the group is divided into two sets. Like this the GTO will see the performance of the candidates in close. The rules are same for this like PGT.
GTO Tasks in SSB: Individual obstacles
Individual Obstacles is one of the tasks of the GTO series, generally conducted on the first or second day of GTO testing. As the name suggest this task is performed by each member of the group, individually.
The purpose of this test is to check ability, physical toughness, stamina level, courage, determination, acrophobia (fear of heights), it also checks how fast you can make choice and execute it. There are total 10 tasks (different in different entries) and time bound is 3 min. one can repeat the task if he is able to complete all 10 obstacles before 3 min. all obstacles are marked from 1 to 10, more task a candidate complete more his marks will be.
GTO Tasks in SSB: Command task
The Command Task is held before the F.G.T. The aim of this task is to find the commanding capability of the candidate. The candidates are allowed to choose two members from the group. The candidate should have to cross an obstacle with the allotted men and the resources available within allotted time.
In SSB Command Task, a leader can pick up a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 3 persons out of the group excluding himself. But normally 2 persons plus the leader will do. A plank and a balli is given to help out. The difficulty of your command task depends on your past performance, if you get a difficult command task, that says that you are going good in GTO
GTO Tasks in SSB: Final Group Task (FGT)
The Final Group Task (FGT) is the last task in the GTO, which is given to the candidates to be executed by the whole group. This is long and somewhat more difficult. Therefore mote timing is allotted for its planning and execution. All the rules, principles and instructions are same as that of Progressive Group Task (PGT).
Tips for AFSB 1 2017 Interview GTO Task
- Have adequate general awareness and read current affairs.
- Perceive the problems posed correctly and assimilate all details.
- Be quick enough to think and write solutions. Avoid grammatical mistakes.
- Solutions should be logical and realistic.
- Be spontaneous and forthright in expressing. Participate actively in the group actions.
- In outdoor tasks, be energetic, participate willingly and contribute to the group activities.
- Understand the requirement of the task, plan and try to evolve / suggest workable ideas.
- Try to project / exhibit leadership qualities in implementing plans.
- Keep the group aim in mind.
- Be confident and develop perseverance in pursuing aim / goal.
- Be physically and mentally tough. Routine daily physical exercise must be taken well before coming for the SSB. Warming up before coming to GTO’s ground will certainly help. You can do some exercise in lines.
- Be effective in communication skill. Being conversant in English is always beneficial.
- Be well dressed in white shorts, T-shirt and PT shoes.
- Dress should be loose and comfortable.
- Ensure smart turn out (proper hair cut and shaved properly).
- Sleep early at night so as to remain fresh for the next days testing.
- Listen to opening briefing by GTO attentively and follow the instructions.
- Enjoy the tests, take them as group activity.
- Adhere to laid down timings and instructions passed by SSB students to you from time to time.
- Work hard, be active and put your best foot forward.
- Be positive, optimistic and friendly.
- Be your original self.
- Imbibe discipline in yourself, whether in lines, at work, in the ground or in the city / sight seeing.
- Carry out tests to the best of your physical ability.
- Inform Testing Officer in case you are not feeling well enough to go through the testing.
- Follow all the instructions as given to you before commencement of each task in the GTO’s ground.
- Respect others then only shall you get respected.
- Do not limit yourself to one type of media or TV channel. Explore various types of media and TV channel to acquire knowledge / general awareness.
- Do not try to copy or paste pre-conceived knowledge / ideas, utilize them to generate own ideas.
- Do not sit / stand back and wait for opportunity to come its way – grab the opportunity.
- Do not discard others ideas, evaluate and then follow / modify.
- Do not feel discouraged if unable to perform well in a particular task. What matters is overall performance in all the GTO’s tasks.
- In outdoor / physical tasks do not be reckless, take calculated risks. Remain bold and composed.
- Do not give up easily. Be resilient.
- Do not overeat prior to the task.
- Do not wear tight clothes / shoes.
- Do not smoke, drink and gamble during your stay with us.
- Do not damage Government property.
- Do not stay out after specified timings while on out pass.
- Do not indulge yourself in stealing / playing cards etc.
- Do not be over smart and do not put up a false front or mask your original personality.
- Do not be aggressive or short tempered.
- Do not be pessimistic or careless / lazy.
- Do not be foolhardy and do not take stupid / foolhardy risks.
- Do not pick up fight with anybody whether in the SSB or in the Selection Centre or in the city.
- Do not keep mobile phone, watch, purse, chain any valuable on your person when in tests.