Daily Defence Current Affairs 14 January 2022
US Discourages India from Acquiring Russian S-400 Missile Defence Systems
- The US has made clear to India that it is “discouraging” it from proceeding with its acquisition of S-400 missile defence systems from Russia, but Washington will have to weigh “important geostrategic considerations” while taking a decision on growing calls for a presidential CAATSA waiver to New Delhi.
- In October 2018, India signed a USD 5 billion deal with Russia to buy five units of the S-400 air defence missile systems, despite a warning from the then Trump administration that going ahead with the contract may invite US sanctions.
- Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA).
- It is a US federal law enacted in 2017. The Act empowers the US President to impose at least five of the 12 listed sanctions on persons engaged in a “significant transaction” with Russian defence and intelligence sectors.
- Its “ultimate goal”, “is to prevent revenue from flowing to the Russian Government.
- Besides Russia, CAATSA is aimed at enforcing sanctions against Iran and North Korea.
No Breakthrough In 14th Round of India-China Border Talks: Joint Statement
- There was no breakthrough in the 14th round of talks between the militaries of India and China, and the two sides agreed to maintain dialogue via military and diplomatic channels to work out a “mutually acceptable resolution” of the remaining issues.
- Each side currently has around 50,000 to 60,000 troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the sensitive sector.
Indian Army Conducting Workshop for Field Commanders On Negotiation, Communication Skills
- The Indian Army said it was conducting a workshop for its field commanders on negotiation and communication skills so that they can deal with “dynamic and emerging challenges”.
- Indian Army in its quest for excellence and professionalism, is conducting a workshop for Field Commanders in “negotiation and communication skills” to enable them to deal with dynamic and emerging challenges it faces everyday in the discharge of its multifaceted roles.”
Russia Warns Response If European Security Guarantees Rejected by West
- Russia will have to take “necessary” measures if the United States and NATO fail to provide a constructive response to Russian-requested security guarantees within reasonable time.
- In December 2021, Russia released drafts of agreements in which it proposed that NATO and the US agree to mutual security guarantees in Europe. The proposed guarantees included NATO not expanding further eastward, not deploying short- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles capable of reaching either side and Ukraine and other former Soviet republics not being made members of the alliance.
Annual Firepower Exercise: Ahmednagar
- Spread over 36,000 acres, KK Ranges proved to be the perfect place for the exercise which aims to acquaint the Defence Services Staff College and Technical Staff Officers Course officers with the operational capabilities of the mechanised forces.
- The exercise showcased effective man-machine integration as part of conventional assured response strategy in an integrated and networked battlefield. T-90 Bhishma, T-72 Ajeya, BMP-II, attack and utility helicopters, MBT Arjun took part in it.
- NATO stands for
- North Arctic Treaty Organisation
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation
- North Australia Treaty Organisation
- Non -Atlantic Treaty Organisation
- When was B.S.F. formed?
- 1 December 1965
- 11 December 1965
- 21 December 1965
- 31 December 1965
- Chushul Valley is located in which state/Union Territory?
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Himachal Pradesh
- Among the following which is the first woman set to fly a Rafale fighter jet in India?
- Riti Singh
- K. Tyagi
- Parul Chawla
- Shivangi Singh
- Vajra Prahar Ex conducted b/w India and__
- What is the name of the anti-radiation missile developed by DRDO?
- Indigo II
- Rudram I
- Nag III
- Brahmos I
- Army Day is celebrated on 15 January every year in India, in recognition of ___
- Air Marshal Arjan Singh
- Lieutenant General Chandi Prasad Mohanty
- Field Marshal S.H.F. Manekshaw
- Field Marshal Kodandera M. Cariappa
- Which is the medium altitude long endurance UAV being developed by DRDO?
- Dhanush missile is also known as__
- Which regiment has the honour of having the most number of Param Vir Chakra awardees?
- Brigade of the Guards
- Grenadiers Regiment
- Punjab Regiment
- Parachute Regiment