Now it’s time for you to prepare for AFCAT 2 2021 that will held on 28 Aug , 29 Aug, and 30 August 2021 and there will be 18 – 20 questions from numerical ability itself. So, if you prepare well for this particular section then you can easily score 54 – 60 marks.
Most of the students are scared of numerical ability and mostly skip this section or give very less preparation to it but I can surely tell you that if you have a very good command over this section then it can be your strength and can give you an upper hand over others. Also, there are less chances of getting negative marks from this section as you will mark the answer only if you have got the exact right answer.
So, firstly you should know that you have approximately 100 days to prepare just 9 topics which you have already studied in your middle school and these topics are given below along with the no. of expected questions from each topic.
|Main Topics||No. of expected questions|
|Speed, Distance & Time||3 – 4|
|Time & Work||2 – 3|
|SI & CI||1-2|
|Ratio & Proportion||2-3|
|Number System/Decimal Fraction/Simplifications||1-2|
|Profit & Loss||2-3|
Now, let me give you a brief description of these topics so that you can have a clear cut idea about what all you need to study in each of them for your AFCAT 2 2021.
- Speed, Distance & Time: There is a most important and basic formula on which this chapter is based and that is Distance = Speed x Time, one question can be asked from Average Speed, concept of Relative Speed is useful for solving the questions related to Trains (which is a very important topic and questions come from this topic in every paper), study the concepts of Boat and Streams based questions thoroughly and also have a look at Races related problems.
- Time & Work: There are two different topics covered under this chapter, Time & Work and Pipes & Cisterns and the concepts for both these topics are almost same, its just that there is an outlet pipe in Pipes & Cisterns and you have to take the one day work of outlet pipe as negative. There are a lot of different types for formulas for solving the questions at a faster pace but it is always advisable to go through the concepts first as if the basics are strong, one can easily solve each and every question from this chapter. You can also refer the LCM Approach (Assuming the total work to be done as the LCM of the number of days taken by each of the persons to complete the work) which is always very helpful in solving the questions by simplifying the calculations.
- SI & CI: This is a formula based chapter and basic formulas of SI, CI and Amount should be clear to you as by using them, most of the questions can be solved very easily. After that one can easily proceed towards understanding and learning other important formulas which will help in solving the questions at a very fast pace.
- Percentage: It is a very basic chapter; one should know the conversions from Percentage to Decimals and Fractions and should also be thorough with the important formulas and also check the problems related to Population.
- Average: There is one basic formula that is Average = Sum of Values/No. of values and mostly all the questions can be solved by applying this formula smartly but sometimes questions can be very lengthy, hence for saving the time, one can practice other important formulas also.
- Ratio & Proportion: Questions from this topic are of easy level, one should have a basic understanding of the concepts, also one question can easily be asked from Mixture & Allegations.
- Number System/Decimal Fraction/Simplifications: Mostly questions are from Simplification of some long numerical statements which can easily be solved using BODMAS rule, one should work on improving the calculations and basics should be good.
- Profit & Loss: Basic knowledge of concepts like Profit, Profit%, Loss, Loss% and discount is required, concepts of percentage can be very much helpful, also there are some important formulas that can help in solving the questions at a faster pace.
- Algebra: Questions from Problems on Ages will always be there; algebraic identities plays a vital role in solving the questions related to finding the value of x and have a quick glance at the basics also.
Now, I hope you all know clearly what you all need to study. So, follow the points given below to score full marks in this section.
- Always remember that basic concepts is the key and if your basics are strong, you can always solve all the questions. So, use the time in your hand and in first 2 months cover the basics of each and every topic thoroughly.
- Try to solve different types of questions with the basic concepts only and also Attempt Mock Tests to check your progress.
- After then move on to the short cut tricks and techniques and the important short cut formulas as now you will be able to apply them more accurately and with full understanding.
- Practice more and more number of questions and give quick revisions to the concepts on timely basis.
- Solve previous years’ questions not only of AFCAT but of other competitive exams also like CDS, SSC CGL and Bank PO etc. as it will prepare you to face new or some out of the box questions also.
- Try to finish all the other three sections in first hour, so that you can devote your second hour solely to the Numerical Ability Section and can easily solve all the 18 to 20 questions.
- Last and the most important thing is have faith in yourself, be confident as you know that you have studied everything and will surely crack this one with 100% accuracy.