Today’s Current Affairs, for September 1, 2022, will cover the latest national and international news. These current events and questions will help you a lot on your upcoming defence exams like NDA, CDS, CDS OTA, AFCAT, TA, Agniveer Army, Agniveer Navy, Agniveer Air force, Women Military Police, INET, MNS, ACC exams, SCO, PCSL, CAPF and also for SSB interviews, and direct entries for Army, Navy, and Air force like SSC Tech, TGC, JAG, NCC, TES, 10+2 Cadet entry, and more. Download a PDF file about current events at the end of this article.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 01 September 2022
India – UAE Strategic Dialogue
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar will embark on a 3-day visit to United Arab Emirates to co-chair the 14th India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting and third India-UAE Strategic Dialogue with Foreign Minister of UAE Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- During the visit, Dr Jaishankar will also meet other dignitaries of UAE. External Affairs Ministry said these meetings will provide an opportunity to review the entire spectrum of comprehensive strategic partnerships between India and UAE.
- There has been regular exchange of high-level interaction between India and UAE. Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid a visit to Abu Dhabi in June this year and met UAE President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- Earlier, both leaders had also held a virtual summit in February this year during which India-UAE Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement was signed. Both leaders also participated in the I2U2 Summit in July this year.
WB Hails India’s Approach To Stimulate Production
- The World Bank has hailed India’s whole-of-government approach to stimulate production during the Corona pandemic. It said India adopted a whole-of-government approach to stimulate local production that helped reduce unit prices and the dependency on global supplies during the COVID-19 pandemic even as no compromises were made on quality in the largest procurement exercise conducted by the government.
- World Bank report takes a close look at the initiatives taken by the Centre to ensure a sustained supply of essential medical commodities during the critical initial phase of the pandemic, including efforts to develop the local market following a whole-of-government approach.
- The report lists certain global experiences and summarizes the procurement innovations undertaken by the Centre, including its efforts to develop the domestic market for essential Covid commodities and lifesaving equipment.
- A unique feature in India was the private sector’s active role in testing, contributing to nearly 50 percent of the laboratories as well as the venture capital, raising additional resources to support domestic manufacturing of Covid commodities, and developing IT-supported innovations for teleconsultation and intensive care unit (ICU) management, the report highlighted.
- The country also imposed export restrictions early and encouraged, facilitated, and funded the private sector to support domestic manufacturing and the creation of laboratory facilities. This enabled accelerated imports to begin with and the development of local markets, later on, the World Bank said.
Open Network For Digital Commerce (ONDC)
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal today chaired a meeting to review the progress of Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC) in New Delhi.
- He said, the basic purpose of ONDC is to assist the small, undigitized trader, who must be assisted to get digitized and avail opportunities offered by the e-commerce ecosystem. During the meeting, it was apprised that since the alpha launch in five cities in April this year, ONDC has been testing with a closed user group for end-to-end execution to understand their fulfilment.
- The Minister said that existing e-commerce platforms are popular because they remain consumer focused. They have created robust trust in their platforms based on their ability to deliver on promises made about products, fulfilment of orders in time, returns policies and consumer friendly refunds.
- Mr Goyal said, ONDC will be tested against these benchmarks, and it must create consumer trust through robust mechanisms for ensuring redressal of grievances of consumers and enforcing transparent policies for returns, refunds and cancellations.
One Herb, One Standard
- A Memorandum of Understanding MoU was signed between Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine and Homoeopathy under Ministry of Ayush and Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission under Ministry of Health in New Delhi for Inter-Ministerial cooperation for promotion and facilitation of One Herb, One Standard.
- The primary objective of this MoU is the development of cooperative efforts between both organizations to promote public health by facilitating the development of harmonized Herbal drug standards. He said, since both are working with the common cause, it is logical and meaningful to harmonize the standards to achieve One Herb – One Standard.
- The MoU will further facilitate collaboration for promoting exchange of information in the area of standardization of Traditional medicine by sharing of scientific information and drug raw materials or extracts, seminars, workshops, training and brainstorming programs.
Telangana AI Mission’s 4 Start-Ups To Represent India
- The Telangana AI Mission (T-AIM) has revealed that four of its startups have been selected by MeitY to represent India at the G20 Digital Innovation Network (DIN). T-AIM is an initiative of the state Government supported by NASSCOM. The four startups – Arficus, Edubuk, Eunimart, and MayaMD supported by Revv Up programme.
- The program has been supporting 80 startups built on Artificial Intelligence (AI). Revv Up is a free-of-equity-or-cost acceleration program by T-AIM that is exclusively designed for early-stage AI startups.
- The G-20 DIN will be held during 2nd September-4th September 2022 at Bali International Convention Center, Bali, Indonesia. These startups have been receiving mentorship and knowledge sessions from industry experts, access to global pathways, and technology and IP resources to build scalable businesses.
Former Soviet Leader Mikhail Gorbachev Dies Aged 91
- The former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has died aged 91 at a Hospital in Moscow. The hospital officials in Moscow in a statement said Mr. Mikhail Gorbachev passed away after a serious and protracted disease.
- According to media reports, his health has been in decline in recent years. In June, media reported that he had been admitted after suffering from a kidney ailment, though his cause of death has not been announced.
- Russian News agency Tass reported that he will be buried in Moscow’s Novodevichy Cemetery next to his wife Raisa, who died in 1999. Mr. Gorbachev became general secretary of the Soviet Communist Party and de facto leader of the country in 1985.
- At the time, he was 54 the youngest member of the ruling council known as the Politburo. He also known for opened up the then-USSR to the world and introduced a set of reforms at home.
- After decades of Cold War tension, Gorbachev brought the Soviet Union closer to the West than at any point since World War Two. In fact, Gorbachev’s policies of glasnost and perestroika defused the soaring tension of cold war.
- Glasnost encouraged Russians and Eastern Europeans to speak out against communism whereas Perestroika was an attempt to modernise and ‘rebuild’ the Soviet state.
- He won the Nobel Peace Prize for negotiating a historic nuclear arms pact with US leader Ronald Reagan, and his decision to withhold the Soviet army when the Berlin Wall fell a year earlier was seen as key to preserving Cold War peace. After his demise, the world lost an unparallel preacher of peace.
Reliance Jio To Roll Out 5G Services In India
- Reliance Jio has partnered with some of the world’s leading technology giants such as Meta, Google, Microsoft and Intel to roll out 5G services by Diwali in key metro cities of India.
- While Jio partnered Mark Zuckerberg-led Meta (formering Facebook) for immersive technology, it has collaborated with Google to develop ultra-affordable 5G smartphones.
- On Cloud, Jio has partnered Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure to ensure a vibrant ecosystem of cloud-enabled business applications and solutions for its millions of users.
- The company has picked chip-maker Intel for cloud-scale data centres and 5G edge locations, while it has robust relationships with leading global network technology providers like Ericsson, Nokia, Samsung and Cisco. Jio also forged a collaboration with Qualcomm to develop 5G solutions for India, which can be taken to the rest of the world. Using JioAirFiber, people can do away with all expenses related to buying computer hardware and periodically upgrading it and opt to use a virtual PC hosted in the cloud – called Jio Cloud PC.
- With no upfront investment or tension of periodical upgrading, a user needs to pay only to the extent used, resulting in a super-affordable way to bring the power of a PC, even multiple PCs, to every Indian home and business.
- Meta and Jio Platforms also announced the launch of the first-ever end-to-end shopping experience on WhatsApp, where consumers can shop from JioMart right within their WhatsApp chat.
- Jio will launch 5G services in four metro cities, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai by Diwali. These will be expanded to other cities and towns in phases rapidly to cover the entire country by December 2023.
Competitiveness Roadmap For India@100
- Economic Advisory Council to Prime Minister, EAC-PM today released the Competitiveness Roadmap for India@100 in New Delhi. The document was released in the presence of Chairman EAC-PM Dr Bibek Debroy, India’s G20 Sherpa Amitabh Kant, Member of EAC-PM Sanjeev Sanyal and Dr Christian Ketels from Harvard Business School.
- Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM) has said that the country can become a 20 trillion dollar economy at a sustained growth rate of 7 to 7.5 percent for the next 25 years.
- EAC-PM Chairman Bibek Debroy said that India can become an upper-middle-income country by 2047 at this growth rate. He said, even if India achieves relatively conservative rates of growth of 7 to 7.5 percent, the country will get to a per capita annual income of about 10,000 dollar.
- India, the world’s sixth largest economy with a GDP of 2.7 trillion dollar, is currently classified as a developing nation. Mr. Debroy was speaking at a function to release ‘The Competitiveness Roadmap for India@100’ in New Delhi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has set an ambitious target of making India a developed nation by 2047, which means India will be in the upper middle-income category and the nature of Indian society will completely be transformed, Mr. Debroy said. According to the World Bank’s definition, a country with a per capita annual income of over USD 12,000 is considered a higher-income nation.
- According to the International Monetary Fund, the Indian economy is forecast to expand by 7.4 percent in 2022-23, making it one of the world’s fastest-growing economies.
- A developed country is typically characterised by a relatively high level of economic growth, a general standard of living, and higher per capita income as well as performing well on the Human Development Index (HDI), which includes education, literacy, and health.
- Which Of The Following Is A Military Alliance?
- (a) ASEAN
- (b) NAFTA
- (c) NATO
- (d) EEC
- NATO Was Established In
- (a) 1949
- (b) 1948
- (C) 1947
- (d) 1946
- NATO Was Founded To Help West To Resist
- (a) Turkey Block
- (b) Asian Block
- (c) Communist Block
- (d) None of them
- Warsaw Pact Was Created In
- Not A Member Of NATO
- (a) Czech Republic
- (b) Poland
- (c) Romania
- (d) Russia
- Official Languages Of NATO
- (a) English and Russian
- (b) English and French
- (c) English and Chinese
- (d) French and Norwegian
- Current Secretary-General Of NATO
- (a) Jaan de Hoop Scheffer
- (b) Anders Fogh Rasmussen
- (c) Jens Stoltenberg
- (d) Javier Solana
- WARSAW Pact Ended In
- Latest Country To Join NATO
- North Macedonia
- Last President Of The Soviet Union
- Boris Yeltsin
- Mikhail Gorbachev
- Vladimir Putin
- Dmitry Medvedev
- Which Alliance Is Also Called As “Quad Of West Asia”
- Not A Member Of the I2U2 Alliance
- I2U2 Summit 2022 Took Place At
- Washington DC
- Tel Aviv
- New Delhi
- I2U2 Alliance Was Conceptualized In
- June 2021
- July 2021
- October 2021
- November 2021
- I2U2: Areas Of Cooperation
- Food Security
- Green Energy
- All The Above
- Initially, the Name Of I2U2 Alliance Was
- West Asian QUAD
- Alliance For Middle Eastern Security
- International Forum For Economic Cooperation
- Forum For Indo-pacific & Gulf Cooperation
- Capital Of UAE
- Abu Dhabi
- Capital Of Israel
- Tel Aviv
- I2U2: 300 Mega Watts Of Wind And Solar Capacity Projects
- Andhra Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- I2U2: 2 Billion Dollars Integrated Food Parks Across India
- Latest Daily Current Affairs and Defence Updates
- Monthly Current Affairs August 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs July 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs June 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs May 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs April 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs March 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs February 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
- Monthly Current Affairs January 2022 With Video Lecture [Download PDF]
Leave a Reply